Historical timeline

The history of Charles Sturt University dates back to 1895, with the establishment of the Bathurst Experiment Farm. Formed progressively through the merge of regional institutions in south-western and western NSW, CSU was formally incorporated on 19 July 1989 under the Charles Sturt University Act 1989. As one of Australia's newer universities, CSU has been built on a tradition of excellence in teaching and research spanning more than 100 years.

CSU 25 year commemorative book

Historical timeline

YearEvent
1895 Establishment of Bathurst Experiment Farm offering vocational agricultural education.
1896 Establishment of Wagga Experiment Farm offering vocational agricultural education.
1947 Establishment of Wagga Wagga Teachers College.
1949 Establishment of Wagga Agricultural College on the site of the Wagga Experiment Farm.
1951 Establishment of Bathurst Teachers College on site of the Bathurst Experiment Farm.
1971 Bathurst Teachers College reformed as Mitchell College of Advanced Education
1971 Wagga Wagga Teachers College reformed as Riverina College of Advanced Education.
1975 Merger of the Wagga Wagga Agricultural College into the Riverina College of Advanced Education.
1984 Dissolution of the Goulburn College of Advanced Education. Relocation of the NSW Police College (now NSW Police Academy) from Redfern to the former site of Goulburn College of Advanced Education.
Riverina College of Advanced Education re-named the Riverina-Murray Institute for Higher Education with campuses in Albury-Wodonga and Wagga Wagga.
1989 Merger of the Mitchell College of Advanced Education and the Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education and incorporation of Charles Sturt University with campuses in Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst and Wagga Wagga.
1993 Transfer of the Robinson Education Centre site in Broken Hill to Charles Sturt University by the University of New South Wales.
1998 Establishment of former Goulburn College of Advanced Education precinct as a University campus with the signing of contract with NSW Police Service to provide policing education.
Establishment of a new campus in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, to house the CSU Australian Centre for Christianity and Culture through Deed of Agreement and Lease with the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn.
1999 Opening of new campus in Dubbo in western NSW.
2005 Establishment of new campus in Ontario and accreditation of Charles Sturt University, Ontario by provincial government to operate as a University.
2006 Transfer of the Orange Campus of the University of Sydney (formerly Orange Agricultural College) to Charles Sturt University.
Establishment of CSU Study Centres for international students in metropolitan Sydney and Melbourne.
2012 Opening of a new campus in Port Macquarie on the mid-north coast of NSW.
Opening of a Regional University Centre in Wangaratta in northern Victoria.