Wagga Campus History Timeline

October 1892 Dedication of Wagga Experimental Farm
1 October 1896 Experimental Farm College officially opened
1902-1912 Construction and occupancy of three  accommodation blocks – Centre Block (now Convention Centre), West Block and  East Hall
9 June 1947 First students begin training at Wagga Teachers' College
29 September 1948 Official opening of Wagga Teachers' College by  NSW Minister for Education, R J Heffron
3 March 1949 First lectures at Wagga Agricultural College
9 September 1949 Official opening of Wagga Agricultural College by NSW Minister for Agriculture, E H Graham
1952 Formation of Riverina Councils' University League, soon to become Riverine University League
1953 'A case for an Australian rural university' by Dr W A Merrylees submitted to Prime Minister and Premiers of NSW and Victoria
1954 First overseas students (from Fiji and Holland) admitted to Wagga Teachers' College
1965 Martin Report recommends the establishment of a  Riverina College of Advanced Education on the site of Wagga Teachers' College  with outposts at Albury and Griffith
1969 Riverina  College of Advanced Education Interim Council appointed        
Mr Peter Hastie elected inaugural chairman of RCAE Council
27 October 1969 First meeting of RCAE Interim Council
1971 Dr Clifford  Douglas Blake appointed principal of RCAE       
Approval given to the development of the North Campus site
1972 First students enrolled at RCAE
First female students enrolled at Wagga  Agricultural College
December 1972 Member for Wagga Wagga and Minister for Mines, Wal Fife, dedicates the new Boorooma campus
1973 Building begins on Boorooma Campus
1975 Riverina College offices transferred from South to North Campus
1 January 1976 Wagga Agricultural College integrated into  RCAE
1977 Naming of Agricultural and Boorooma Campuses
Opening of Ron Potter Centre (winery area) 
First  vintage of 'college' wines
29 May 1980 Official opening of Riverina College of Advanced  Education by Governor-General Sir Zelman Cowen
1982-1983 Incorporation of Goulburn College of Advanced  Education into Riverina College of Advanced Education
1984 Development of Albury Campus and its incorporation into RCAE
1 January 1985 RCAE becomes Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education
1987-1988 Enrolment of full-fee paying overseas students
2 June 1989 Charles Sturt University formally established
19 July 1989 Charles Sturt University Act 1989 enacted
Inaugural meeting of Interim Board of Governors
1 May 1990 Professor C D Blake takes up position in  Bathurst as inaugural Vice-Chancellor of Charles Sturt University
15 May 1991 Installation  of Foundation Chancellor, Mr David Asimus, in Joyes Hall

Information researched by Nancy Blacklow