Dr Bruce Fell
PhD, University of Western Sydney. MA (Hons) Wgong. BA MitchellCAE (With Distinction)
PositionLecturer, Media Communication
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6338 4753
Bruce lectures in moving image literacy and production. He teaches internal and distances education subjects. Bruce has experience in Film, Television, Video and Digital production.
Bruce’s PhD, The Question Concerning Commercial Television And The More-Than-Human World, looked at the circumstances in which ecologically sustainable messages could be woven into a commercial environment.
Bruce’s MA (Hons) Electronic Media As An Aids Awareness Facilitator With Prison, compared the documentary style employed in a series of HIV/AIDS awareness programs that he produced, with the evolution of documentary screen-based communication production, from Lumière’s ‘actualities’ through to contemporary documentary practice.
Bruce’s research interests are directed towards questions concerning education, media, culture and society:
- Screen culture andhappiness
- Media education and neuroscience
- Social media: wellbeing and social justice
- Environmental ethics and commercial communication practice
- Media production and practice
- Media History
- Literacy programs for community centres;
- Flood mitigation information programs;
- Tourism campaigns;
- Rural segments for SBS;
- Video programs for local schools and community groups across the Central West;
- Presentations at media workshops across the Central West;
- Regularly, on an ongoing basis, advise community groups and organizations on issues relating to screen-based awareness;
- Producer for national television advertisement ‘Reclaim The Night’.
- Fell, B. (2009). “Television & Climate Change: The Seasons Finale”, Germany: VDM Verlag.
A synopsis of the book is a available at http://www.brucefell.com/
- Fell, B. (2008). “News & Paper”, in PANPA (Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers Association)
- Fell, B. (2008). “The Sound Of One Page Turning”, in PANPA (Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers Association)
- Fell, B. (2008). “Reading The Times”, in PANPA (Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers Association)
- Fell, B. (2008). “Book Review Putting people in the picture: visual methodologies for social change”, Australian Journal of Adult Learning, Vol 48.3. Canberra.
- Fell, B. (2006). “Visual literacy, broadcast journalism and the digital age”, Journalism Downunder: School of Communication Studies, AUT University, Auckland.
- Fell, B. (2005). “The question concerning the world Problematique and Commercial Television”, Scholarship and Community Conference, University of Western Sydney, Sydney.
- Fell, B. (2005). “Creative activism in viewer land: Switching to place, environment, reconciliation and community”, Two Fires Conference, Braidwood, NSW.
- Fell, B. (2004). “Walking the wallaby”, Sense of Place (5) Colloquium, Far South, Tasmania.
- Fell, B. (2003). “Commercial TV news and environmental sustainability”, Journalism Education Association Annual Conference, Sydney.
- Fell, B. (2003) “Global warming, it doesn’t rate”, Creating Spaces Conference, Australian National University, Canberra.
- Fell, B. (2000). “Televisual information and ecological reality”, A Social Ecology Journal (2), University of Western Sydney, Sydney
- Fell, B. (2000) “Television: in the grip of a big idea that is no longer true”, Television: Past, Present and Futures Conference, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Fell, B. (2000). “Broadcasting a big idea that is no longer true”, Southern Region Postgraduate Seminar, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga.