Commonwealth supported places

Student contribution and fee information for students who have been offered a Commonwealth supported (CSP) place in 2016.

What is a CSP?

The majority of students undertaking undergraduate study at the University are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place, and have their study subsidised by the Australian Government. Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens and permanent visa holders may be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place.

The Government pays a contribution directly to the University for the fees and you, as the student, pay the remainder which is known as the 'student contribution'.  CSP's are offered to domestic undergraduate and postgraduate students, but postgraduate places are limited.

If you receive a CSP you can choose to pay your fees as you go, or study first and pay later via the HECS-HELP loan system if you are eligible.


If you are offered a CSP you will be eligible for the HECS-HELP student loan program. The HECS-HELP loan allows you to pay your contribution over time. Repayments on HECS-HELP loans are managed through the Australian Taxation Office and won't begin until you reach the income threshold - the compulsory income repayment level starts at $54,126 (based on 2015-2016 financial year). The amount you repay each year is adjusted relative to the amount you earn.

If you are able to pay a percentage of your tuition fees upfront you may be eligible for a discount, which can make a real difference to the overall cost of study.

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must:

  • be studying in a Commonwealth supported place
  • be an Australian citizen; or
  • be a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the long-term residency requirements; or
  • be a permanent humanitarian visa holder;
  • be enrolled in each unit at your university by the Census date;
  • meet the relevant HECS-HELP residency requirements;
  • read the HECS-HELP and Commonwealth supported places information booklet; and
  • submit a valid Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form to CSU by the Census date (or earlier administrative date).
For more information on Commonwealth supported places and HECS-HELP, visit the StudyAssist website.

Your student contribution

Your student contribution will vary depending on your subject choice. Subjects are broken into 'bands' and are priced accordingly.

Look up my subject band [XLS]

Open calculator in a new window

Student contribution fees - for students studying in 2016

Subject disciplinePer EFTSL (64 subject points)Per 8 point subjectPer subject point
Band 3
Law, Accounting, Commerce, Economics, Administration$10,432$1,304$163.00
Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science$10,432$1,304$163.00
Band 2
Mathematics, Statistics, Computing, Built Environment, Other Health$8,896$1,112$139.00
Allied Health$8,896$1,112$139.00
Engineering, Science, Surveying$8,896$1,112$139.00
Band 1
Behavioural Science, Social Studies$6,240$780$97.50
Clinical Psychology, Foreign Language, Visual Performing Arts$6,240$780$97.50
* Education before Jan 2010$4,992$624$78.00
* Nursing before Jan 2010$4,992$624$78.00

* Education and Nursing
a. For pre-2010 students, the maximum annual student contribution amount that may be charged for Education and Nursing units is $4,992 ($624.00 per 8 point subject).
At Charles Sturt University this is identified as Band 4.

Please Note: These rates are subject to passage of legislation to implement the Government’s proposed higher education reforms.

How do I pay my contribution?

You may pay your student contribution upfront to CSU, or defer payment through the Australian taxation system. On enrolment, you must indicate your payment preference by completing the relevant form included in your offer pack.

Find out more about how to pay your student contribution