As a distance education student, it can sometimes feel isolating studying by yourself - but remember that you are not alone. Seeking help early will make your university studies that much easier. Contact your lecturer, have a study buddy or actively utilise the subject and student forums.
Contact your lecturer
The University and your lecturers welcome your contact at any time during your study with CSU. It is recommended that you:
- seek input from lecturers when you're struggling, or you're unsure about an assignment. Direct contact with lecturers is encouraged via telephone, email, fax or the internet.
- visit online forums for each subject to exchange ideas with lecturers, fellow students and the Subject Coordinator.
Stay in touch with other students
Stay in touch with other students by regularly being involved in the online forums, or having a study buddy you can call.
- Be proactive on forums. Online forums for each subject enable students to exchange ideas with other students. There are also Student Services forums such as the Student Life Forum, Learning Skills Forum, and Mature Age Students Forum for asking more general questions, sharing skills and experiences.
- Work in groups on selected exercises, case studies and presentations to give you a sense of community as well as help you to understand the subject better. This is also a way to gain support and help with problem solving, and understanding the purpose of the assignment.
- Form a study group of students you can brainstorm with. The combined energy of a group is likely to be more than the sum of each individual's effort. Meet face-to-face, or communicate by phone or email. Bounce your latest ideas and information off them and hear theirs' in return.
- Find a study buddy you can call to ask each other questions, review topics, analyse assignments, quiz, talk through ideas, or share your concerns and worries. Recounting what you have just learned reinforces the information.
- You can also contact student counseling services to discuss any issues you may have.
- If you need further help during your studies, contact CSU Student Support 24 hours on 1800 670 679.