Library Services for Patrons with Disabilities
Charles Sturt University welcomes students who have a disability, and is committed to providing equity to choose, access, participate and succeed independently in University studies within a receptive and supportive environment. The Division of Library Services at Charles Sturt University aims to provide all students and staff with either a temporary or permanent disability, equitable access to all of its collections and services.
The Library offers services and technologies to assist clients in facilitating their information needs. Any student or staff member who is experiencing difficulty in accessing the Library's various collections should contact their Campus Disability Liaison Librarian.
- Access and Facilities (including Assistive Technology Facilities)
- Library Disability Contacts
- Library Disability Guidelines
- Other University Services and Contacts
The Library has a large number of databases available to students and staff. The Library Databases cover all subject areas that are taught at Charles Sturt University. Some full text databases provide alternative formats to image PDF articles either as accessible webpages, TIFF or ASCII Text files.
If you wish to attend a personal class on the Library Databases or how to use Primo Search, please contact your Disability Liaison Librarian.
On-campus students and staff can borrow items from the Loans Desk. Distance Education students can request items through Primo Search to be sent to their home. Items may be renewed by coming to the Loans Desk, emailing, telephoning the Loans Desk, or through Primo Search by using the sign-in option at the top of the screen.
Journals at Charles Sturt University are not-for-loan, however individual journal articles can be scanned and sent to your home address. If you require articles to be sent in alternative format (large print, PDF text format) please notify the Disability Liaison Librarian.
Students or staff with a disability may apply for extended loans using the Disability Services form. The extended loans policy does not apply to not-for-loan material such as closed reserve items, reference material or periodicals.
Students or staff with a disability may request assistance with retrieval of Library Items. Please see staff at the Loans Desk. Where possible students and staff are asked to give at least a days notice for retrieval of items. Items are held at the loans desk for two days.
On campus students physically unable to collect items from the shelves can have items sent to their home. Please speak to your Disability Liaison Librarian to access this service.
- The Ask Us Desk is staffed by Librarians who are able to answer any queries you may have in regard to finding information as well as answering general enquiries.
- Personal assistance can also be provided by arrangement with the Disability Liaison Librarians.
- Services provided at the Ask Us Desk are:
- Help with utilising Primo Search, CSU Databases and reference material both print and online;
- Identifying appropriate resources when seeking information for your assignment topic;
- Using adaptive technology available within the Library for students with disabilities
Staff are also encouraged to utilise the Ask a Question Web Form to email enquiries. Information Services staff will aim to respond within 24hrs of receiving your query excluding weekends and public holidays.