PositionLecturer, School of Psychology
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6338 4591
Andrew’s PhD, which examined the extent to which subjective reactions to being sentenced in the Children’s Court influenced subsequent offending, was awarded in 2007.
He has previously taught psychology at the University of Sydney, and Macquarie University.
He has also collaborated with the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics Research and Department of Juvenile Justice.
- Developmental Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Juvenile Justice
- Early Child Development
- Perceptions of the Justice System
- McGrath, A. (under review). The subjective impact of contact with the criminal justice system: The role of gender and stigmatisation.
- Weatherburn, D. J., Vignaendra, S., & McGrath, A. (2009). The specific deterrent effect of custodial penalties on juvenile re-offending . Crime and Justice bulletin : Contemporary issues in crime and justice, No 132 .
- McGrath, A. (2009). Offenders' perceptions of the sentencing process - A study of deterrence and stigmatisation in the NSW Children's Court. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 42 (1), 24-46.
- McGrath, A. (2008). The effect at diversion from court: A review of the evidence. Psychiatry, Psychology & Law, 15(2), 317-339.
Recent Conference Papers
- McGrath, A. (2010). The specific deterrent effect of custodial penalties on juvenile reoffending . Paper presented at the Sentencing 2010 conference, Canberra, 2010.
- McGrath, A. & Vignaendra, S.(2009). Gender and stigmatisation in the Children's Court . Paper presented at the 22nd Annual Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Criminology, Perth, 2009.
- McGrath, A., & Thompson, A. P. (2009). Assessing Indigenous and non-Indigenous juvenile offenders using the Youth Level of Service Case Management Inventory . Paper presented at the Indigenous young people, crime and justice conference, Parramatta, September 2009.
- McGrath, A. (2008). Subjective reactions to a court appearance by young people appearing before the NSW Children's Court . Paper delivered at the Sentencing 2008 Conference, Canberra, February 2008.
- McGrath, A (2008). Reactions of young people to being sentenced by the NSW Children’s Court. Sentencing 2008, Canberra, Australia, February 8-10, 2008.
- McGrath, A. (2007). The effect of a court appearance on subsequent offending - A study of the NSW Children's Court. Paper delivered at the International conference of Psychology and Law, Adelaide , July 2007.
- McGrath, A . (2007). The court process and recidivism - A study of the NSW Children’s Court. 3rd International Congress of Psychology and Law. Adelaide, Australia, July 3-8, 2007.
- McGrath, A. (2006). Stigmatisation and reintegration as mediating influences in juvenile delinquency. Paper delivered at the European Society of Criminology conference, Tubingen , Germany .