Dr Gene Hodgins
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (CSU), Doctor of Psychology (Clinical) (The University of Melbourne)
PositionSenior Lecturer, School of Psychology
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6933 2746
Gene completed his undergraduate psychology degree at Charles Sturt University after which he worked in rural Community Health before moving to Victoria to complete his clinical psychology training at The University of Melbourne. He completed both his honours and doctorate theses in the area of posttrauma reactions in emergency service personnel. After working for a time in metropolitan child and adolescent mental health, Gene worked for Melbourne University at the Centre for Rural Mental Health in Bendigo. Here his responsibilities included: coordinator and clinician for a depression and anxiety clinic, rural mental health research, primary mental health care (incl. GP) education and training, clinical psychology intern supervision, psychiatry registrar supervision and student teaching.
Gene has also worked at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a clinical trial of Interpersonal Counselling for physical trauma patients, and also as a Senior Lecturer at Monash University coordinating and teaching the Psychological Medicine rural rotation for medical students.
Currently Gene works as a senior lecturer in the School of Psychology at Charles Sturt University.
- Psychological Testing
- Psychology of Personality
- Psychology of Stress and Trauma
- Psychological Assessment
- Adult Mental Health
- Advanced Clinical Psychology
- Aetiology, assessment and treatment of anxiety and mood disorders (esp. PTSD and OCD)
- Rural health and mental health
- Primary Care Mental Health (incl. practitioner training)
- Posttrauma reactions in emergency service personnel
- Psychology teaching and training
- Clinical psychology
- Thompson, T., Boxall, D., Hodgins, G. & Patrick, K. Key lessons from psychology: Promoting psychological well-being in everyday life CSU Faculty of Arts Research Development Grant, $10,000, 2006.
- Wang, L. & Hodgins, G. Prevalence and severity of depression in patients with chronic heart failure. CSU Competitive Grant, $18,600, 2006.
- Hodgins, G. Posttrauma reactions in police officers. Faculty of Arts Research Publication Grant, $3,000, 2006.
- Judd, F. & Hodgins, G. Depression and anxiety management by isolated multidisciplinary team rural mental health workers. Commonwealth Government, Dept of Health and Aged Care, Office of Rural Health, Rural Health Support, Education & Training (RHSET) Program, $65,000, 2000
- Registered Psychologist, NSW Psychologists Registration Board
- Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- Medicare Registered Clinical Psychologist