Dr Md Zahidul Islam
PhD University of Newcastle Australia, Grad Dip UNSW Australia, BSC in Engineering RUET Bangladesh
PositionLecturer in Computer Science, and Course Co-ordinator BIT (Hons) at Bathurst, BCompSci (Hons) & (Games Tech Hons)
Dr Md Zahidul Islam is a Lecturer in Computing, at the School of Computing and Mathematics, Faculty of Business, Charles Sturt University. His main research interests are in Data Mining, Classification and Clustering algorithms, Missing value analysis, Outliers detection, Data Cleansing and Preprocessing, Privacy Preserving Data Mining, Intelligent Decision Support System, Information Flow Control for Information Security, Security of Sensor Networks, Impact of IT on Society (Digital Divide), Graph Theory, Hydroinformatics and so on.
Zahid has received his Bachelors degree in Engineering from Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, Graduate Diploma in Information Science from The University of New South Wales, Australia and PhD in Computer Science (Privacy Preserving Data Mining) from the University of Newcastle, Australia. During his PhD candidature, he was awarded "Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment Postgraduate Research Prize in the Discipline of Computer Science and Software Engineering" in 2005. He has published several peer reviewed publications in various research areas such as Data Mining, Privacy Preservation in Data Mining, Graph Theory and Digital Divide.
Zahid is a member of Centre for Research in Complex Systems (CRiCS).
Semester 1, 2009
- ITC570 Special Subject in IT - Data Mining
- ITC105 Communication and Information Management
- ITC532 IT Specialisation Project
- ITC233 Network Engineering 1
- ITC493 IT Project Management
Trimester 2, 2009
- ITC514 Network and Security Administration using Linux
Semester 2, 2009
- ITC 242 Introduction to Data Communications
- ITC 431 Computer Networks
- ITC 499 IT Project Proposal
Other Teaching Experiences
- ITC 518 Principles of Programming using C#
- SENG 4420 Software Architecture
- COMP 1050/6050 Internet Communications
- SENG 3100 Advanced Software Process
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Associate Course coordinator BIT
- Associate Course coordinator BIT/BBus
Zahid's main research interests are in privacy in data mining, application of data mining, intelligent decision support system, and various data mining algorithms including classification, clustering, corrupt data detection, missing value imputation, multiple pattern extraction, and knowledge discovery. His PhD topic was "Privacy Preservation in Data Mining through Noise Addition".
He has received Faculty of Business, CSU Compact funding for his research in Data Cleansing and Pre-processing, CRiCS Seed Grant for his research on Knowledge Discovery, CSU Small Grant for a research on a Decision Tree Classification algorithm, and a Faculty of Business Seed Grant for conducting a research on a novel clustering technique.
- Md Anisur Rahman - PhD - Knowledge Discovery for better Data Utilization
- Md Geaur Rahman - PhD - Data Cleansing for Data Quality Improvement
- Shwe Yee Than – DIT – Ontology Based Semantic Search Algorithm
Grants and Awards:
- Faculty of Business, CSU Compact Funding for his research on Data Cleansing and Pre-processing.
- CRiCS Special Grant for his research on an Intelligent Decision Support System research.
- Research Fellowship at IC Water, CSU.
- Faculty of Business Seed Grant, CSU for conducting a research on a novel clustering technique.
- CSU Small Grant for conducting a research on a novel decision tree classification algorithm.
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment Postgraduate Research Prize in the Discipline of Computer Science and Software Engineering, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2005.
Reviewer and Member Technical Committee:
- Reviewer of the Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology 2008.
- Reviewer of Knowledge-Based Systems, 2009
- Reviewer of the 1 st International Workshop on Quality of Security (QoSec) in Wireless Sensor Networks http://scm.csu.edu.au/qosecwsn09/, to be held in conjunction with the 3 rd International Conference on Network & System Security (NSS 2009) http://nss.cqu.edu.au, October 19-21, 2009, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Reviewer of Knowledge-Based Systems, 2010
- Islam, M. Z. (2008): Privacy Preservation in Data Mining through Noise Addition, PhD thesis in Computer Science, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Newcastle, Australia. PhD08
- Islam, M. Z. and Brankovic, L. (2010): Privacy in Data Mining: A Complete Framework, Pan Stanford Publishing. (Submitted, Under revision)
- Brankovic, L, Islam, M. Z. and Giggins H (2007): Privacy-Preserving Data Mining, Security, Privacy and Trust in Modern Data Management, Springer, Editors Milan Petkovic and Willem Jonker ISBN: 978-3-540-69860-9, Chapter 11, pg. 151-166.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Khan,M., Islam, M. Z., Hafeez, M. and Flugel, W. (2011): An Intelligent Decision Support System for Efficient Irrigation Water Management in a Gravity Irrigation System in Murray Darling Basin, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. (Submitted) (ERA Rank A)
- Islam, M.Z., and Brankovic, L.(2011): Privacy Preserving Data Mining: A Noise Addition Framework Using a Novel Clustering Technique, Knowledge-Based Systems Vol. 24, Issue 8, ISBN 0950-7051,(December 2011) pg. 1214-1223, (DOI: 10.1016/j.knosys.2011.05.011) (ERA Rank B)
- Zia, T.A., Al-Saggaf, Y., Islam, M. Z., Zheng, L., and Weckert, J. (2009): The Digital Divide in Asia: Cases from Yemen, Bangladesh, Pakistan and China, Journal of Information Ethics (JIE). Vol. 18, No. 2 (Fall 2009). McFarland & Company, Inc. Publishers, pg. 50 - 76. (ERA Rank B)
Refereed Conference Proceedings:
- Islam, M. Z. and Giggins, H. (2011): Knowledge Discovery through SysFor: A Systematically Developed Forest of Multiple Decision Trees, In Proc. of the Ninth Australasian Data Mining Conference 2011 (AusDM 2011), Ballarat, Australia, December 01 - December 02, 2011. (in press) (ERA Rank B)
- Rahman, M. G. and Islam, M. Z. (2011): Missing Value Imputation through the Application of EM Algorithm on Decision Tree Leaves for Better Data Cleansing , In Proc. of the Ninth Australasian Data Mining Conference 2011 (AusDM 2011), Ballarat, Australia, December 01 - December 02, 2011. (in press) (ERA Rank B)
- Rahman, M. A. and Islam, M. Z. (2011): Seed-Detective: A Novel Clustering Technique Using High Quality Seed for K-Means on Categorical and Numerical Attributes , In Proc. of the Ninth Australasian Data Mining Conference 2011 (AusDM 2011), Ballarat, Australia, December 01 - December 02, 2011. (in press) (ERA Rank B)
- Khan, M., Islam, M. Z., and Hafeez, M. (2011): Irrigation Water Demand Forecasting - A Data Pre-processing and Data Mining Approach Based on Spatiotemporal Data , In Proc. of the Ninth Australasian Data Mining Conference 2011 (AusDM 2011), Ballarat, Australia, December 01 - December 02, 2011. (in press) (ERA Rank B)
- Islam, M. Z. (2011): EXPLORE: A Novel Decision Tree Classification Algorithm , In Proc. of the the 27th International Information Systems Conference, British National Conference on Databases (BNCOD 2010), LNCS 6121 June 29- July 01, 2010, Dundee, Scotland. Springer, Heidelberg (2011), L.M. MacKinnon (Ed.) 55-71 (ERA Rank B)
- Zia, T.A., and Islam, M. Z. (2010): Communal Reputation and Individual Trust (CRIT) in Wireless Sensor Networks , In Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2010), Published by IEEE Computer Society, February 15-18, 2010, Krakow, Poland, 347-352. (ERA Rank B)
- Islam, M. Z. and Brankovic, L (2005): DETECTIVE: A Decision Tree Based Categorical Value Clustering and Perturbation Technique in Privacy Preserving Data Mining, In Proc. of the 3rd International IEEE Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN 2005), 10-12 August, Perth, Australia.
- Alfalayleh, M., Brankovic, L., Giggins, H and Islam, M. Z. (2004): Towards the Graceful Tree Conjecture: A Survey , In Proc. of AWOCA 2004, 7-9 July, Ballina, Australia. (ERA Rank B)
- Islam, M. Z. and Brankovic, L. (2004): A Framework for Privacy Preserving Classification in Data Mining,In Proc. of Australasian Workshop on Data Mining and Web Intelligence (DMWI2004), Dunedin, New Zealand, CRPIT, 32, Purvis, M., Ed. ACS, 163-168.
- Islam, M. Z., Barnaghi, P. M. and Brankovic, L.(2003): Measuring Data Quality: Predictive Accuracy vs.Similarity of Decision Trees, In Proceedings of the 6 th International Conferenceon Computer & Information Technology (ICCIT 2003), Dhaka, Bangladesh, Vol. 2, 457-462.
- Islam, M. Z. and Brankovic, L. (2003): Noise Addition for Protecting Privacy in Data Mining, In Proceedingsof the 6 th Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference (EMAC 2003), Sydney, Australia, 85-90 .