Professor Eddie Oczkowski
BEc (LaT), MEc (ANU), PhD (LaT)
PositionSub-Dean (Research Students), Professor in Applied Economics and Quantitative Methods
Phone/Faxwork02 6933 2377
Eddie is a Professor in applied economics and quantitative methods and Sub-Dean (Research Students) in the Faculty of Business. Eddie's previous appointments include: tutor at La Trobe University (Bundoora), Head of School of Management at CSU, co-director of the Australian Centre for Co-operative Research and Development (ACCORD) and the Director of Graduate Studies at CSU. Eddie has over 25 years teaching experience in areas such as Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Managerial Economics, Applied Econometrics, Business Forecasting, Business Research Methods, and Higher Degree research supervision. Eddie's expertise is applied econometrics with an emphasis on limited dependent variables, modelling markets for agricultural products and structural equation modelling applications to marketing and management.
Previous research interests have covered areas such as: modelling agricultural disequilibrium markets, hedonic wine pricing, bargaining in the coking coal trade, the demand for eggs, Australia's bilateral aid allocation, agricultural co-operatives, air-travel demand and marketing and HRM applications of structural equation modelling. Eddie has received external grant funding from organisations such as NSW Department of Fair Trading, RIRDC and NCVER and has conducted various consultancies for local businesses and regional councils.
- Business Research Methods
- Research Methodology for Business
- Business Research Project
- Agricultural land use
- Imperfect competition in agricultural markets
- The demand and supply for wine grapes
- Structural Equation Modelling
- Reviewer for numerous journals including: Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Economic Record , European Review of Agricultural Economics, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Sociological Methods and Research
- Examiner of various research higher degree research theses.
- Australian Research Council: International Reader
- Excellence Research in Australia: Peer Reviewer.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 'A Theory of Market Quantity Controls: The Use of Disequilibrium and Bargaining Theories.' Australian Economic Papers, 27, 285-297, 1988.
- 'Disequilibrium Estimation of Single Market Effective Demand Theory.' Journal of Quantitative Economics, 6, 185-201, 1990.
- 'The Econometrics of Markets with Quantity Controls.' Applied Economics, 23, 497-504, 1991.
- 'Modelling the Allocation of Australian Bilateral Aid: A Two-Part Sample Selection Approach.' Economic Record, 67, 147-152, 1991. (with M. McGillivray)
- 'Government Policies and Agricultural Supply Response: Paddy in Sri Lanka.' Journal of Agricultural Economics, 43, 231-242, 1992. (with P.J. Gunawardana)
- 'A Two-Part Sample Selection Model of British Bilateral Foreign Aid Allocation.' Applied Economics, 24, 1311-1319, 1992. (with M. McGillivray) Reprinted in P. Burnell and O. Morrissey (eds) Foreign Aid in the New Global Economy, pp 458-466, 2004, Edward Elgar.
- 'On the Estimation of Total Expenditure Elasticities using Limited Dependent Variable Models for Malaysia.' Singapore Economic Review, 37, 59-69, 1992. (with M. Perumal)
- 'Price and Quantity Controlled Agricultural Markets and Disequilibrium Econometrics: A Survey.' Agricultural Economics, 9, 53-87, 1993.
- 'A Hedonic Price Function for Australian Premium Table Wine.' Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 38, 93-110, 1994.
- 10. 'Household Expenditure Patterns and Access to Consumer Goods in a Transitional Economy.' Journal of Economic Development, 19, 165-183, 1994. (with N. Philp)
- 'Developed and Developing Country Multinationals and Export Performance in Developing Countries: Some Analytical Issues and New Empirical Evidence.' Journal of Development Economics, 46, 109-122, 1995. (with P. Athukorala, and S. Jayasuriya). Re-printed in C. Milner (ed) Developing and Newly Industrialising Countries, Vol II, pp 3-16, 1998, Edward Elgar.
- 'An Analysis of the MKTOR and MARKOR Measures of Market Orientation: An Australian Perspective.' Marketing Bulletin, 8, 30-40, 1997. (with M. Farrell)
- 'A Disequilibrium Econometric Model of the Australian Raw Wool Market.' Australian Economic Papers, 36, 283-307, 1997.
- 'The Impact of Market Clearing Assumptions and Dynamics on Demand Elasticities.' Economics Letters, 59, 39-43, 1998.
- 'Discriminating between Measurement Scales using Non-Nested Tests and Two Stage Least Squares Estimators: The Case of Market Orientation.' International Journal of Research in Marketing, 15, 349-366, 1998. (with M. Farrell)
- 'The Effects of Recognition of Prior Learning upon Student Outcomes in VET Teacher Training.' Australian Vocational Education Review, 5, 37-43, 1998. (with E. Smith and R. Brennan)
- 'An Examination of the Form of Market Orientation in Australian Companies' Australasian Marketing Journal, 6, 3-12, 1998 (with M. Farrell)
- 'An Econometric Analysis of the Bilateral Monopoly Model.' Economic Modelling 16, 53-69, 1999.
- 'An Econometric Analysis of the Demand for Eggs in Australia.' Australian Agribusiness Review, 7, paper no. 10, 1999. (with T. Murphy)
- 'Trade Liberalisation and Productivity Growth: The Case of Manufacturing Industries in Nepal.' Oxford Development Studies, 28, 205-222, 2000. (with K. Sharma and S. Jayasuriya)
- 'Imperfect Competition, Returns to Scale and Productivity Growth in Australian Manufacturing: A Smooth Transition Approach to Trade Liberalisation.' International Economic Journal, 15, 99-113, 2001. (with K. Sharma)
- 'An Econometric Analysis of the Demand for Domestic Air Travel in Australia.' International Journal of Transport Economics, 28 (2), 193-204, 2001. (with B. Battersby)
- 'Liberalisation, Export Incentives and Trade Intensity: New Evidence from Nepalese Manufacturing Industries.', Journal of Asian Economics, 12, 123-135, 2001. (with K. Sharma and S. Jayasuriya)
- 'Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error.' Economic Record, 77 (239), 374-382, 2001.
- 'Discriminating Between Measurement Scales using Non-nested Tests and 2SLS: Monte Carlo Evidence.' Structural Equation Modeling, 9, 103-125, 2002.
- 'Tourism Advertising Expenditure Impacts on a Regional Economy' Australasian Journal of Regional Studies,8(1), 83-94, 2002. (with T. Murphy, G. West, and M. Brooks)
- 'Are Market Orientation and Learning Orientation Necessary for Superior Organizational Performance?" Journal of Market Focused Management,5(3), 197-217, 2002. (with M. Farrell)
- 'New Management Practices and Enterprise Training in Australia.' International Journal of Manpower, 24(1), 31-47, 2003. (with Smith, A., Macklin, R., and C. Noble.)
- 'Organisational Change and the Management of Training in Australian Enterprises.' International Journal of Training and Development, 7(1). 2-15, 2003. (with Smith, A., Macklin, R., and C. Noble).
- 'Water Reform and Co-operation.' Journal of Economic and Social Policy, 8(1), 35-51, 2003. (with K. Parker)
- 'The Impact of Organisational Change on the Nature and Extent of Training in Australian Enterprises.' International Journal of Training and Development, 8(2), 94-110, 2004. (with A. Smith, R. Macklin and C. Noble).
- 'Key Determinants of the Stage of Internationalisation of Australian Wineries.' Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 21(4), 425-444, 2004. (with R. Wickramasekera)
- 'Australian Agricultural Bargaining Co-operatives and Associations: Issues and Prospects.' Third Sector Review, 10(2), 67-84, 2004.
- 'Determinants of Efficiency in Least Developed Countries: Further evidence from Nepalese Manufacturing Firms.' Journal of Development Studies, 41(4), 617-630, 2005 (with K. Sharma)
- 'Stage Models Re-visited: A Measure of the Stage of Internationalisation of a Firm.' Management International Review, 46(1), 39-55, 2006. (with R. Wickramasekera)
- 'Modelling Winegrape Prices in Disequilibrium.' Agricultural Economics, 34(1), 97-107, 2006.
- 'Nash Bargaining and Co-operatives.' Australian Economic Papers, 45(2), 89-98, 2006.
- 'Structural Change and Thailand Energy Demand.' International Journal of Energy Research, 31(3), 300-314, 2007. (with S. Buranakunaporn).
- 'A Dynamic Econometric Model of Thailand Manufacturing Energy Demand.' Applied Economics, 39(17), 2261-2267, 2007. (with S. Buranakunaporn).
- 'Market orientation, learning orientation and organisational performance in international joint ventures.' Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 20(3), 289-308, 2008. (with M. Farrell and R. Kharabsheh)
- 'Excess Demand, Market Power and Price Adjustment in Clearinghouse Auction Markets for Water.' Economic Analysis and Policy, 38(2), 261-275, 2008.
- 'Service Worker Customer Orientation, Organisation/Job Fit and Perceived Organisational Support.' Journal of Strategic Marketing, 17(2), 149-167, 2009. (with M. Farrell)
- 'Multi-Class Demand with Capacity Constraints: Theory and Estimation.' Journal of Transport, Economics and Policy, 44(1), 59-78, 2010. (with B. Battersby)
- 'Hedonic Wine Price Predictions and Non-Normal Errors.' Agribusiness: An International Journal, 26(4), 519-535, 2010.
- 'To Have and to Hold: Modelling the Drivers of Employee Turnover and Skill Retention in Australia.' International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22(2), 395-416, 2011. (with A. Smith and C. Selby-Smith)
- 'Antecedents and Performance Consequences of Learning Success in International Joint Ventures.' Industrial Marketing Management, 40(3), 479-488, 2011 (with M. Farrell, and R. Kharabsheh)
- 'The Primacy of Human Capital and Social Capital in Influencing Landholders' Participation in Programs Designed to Improve Environmental Outcomes.' Australian Journal of Agriculturaland Resource Economics, forthcoming. (with M. Morrison and J. Greig)
- 'Segmenting Landholders for Improving the Targeting of Natural Resource ManagementExpenditures.' Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, forthcoming. (with M.Morrison, J. Durante, J. Greig, J. Ward)