Dr Jane Wilkinson
BLitt(Hons) Deakin, BA(Hons) Monash, DipEd MelbourneStateColl MA Melb, PhD Deakin
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6933 2491
Jane brings an extensive background as a curriculum consultant and senior school administrator to her current position as a Senior Lecturer in Education. Jane's teaching areas include educational leadership and sociology of education. She is currently the Master of Education course coordinator and Leader of the Pedagogy, Education and Praxis (PEP) research group. Her research interests include feminist practice and scholarship in educational leadership, issues of diversity within school and academic leadership. Jane has recently completed Visiting Scholarships in the Universities of Gothenburg and Tromso and she has presented at a number of international forums.
Jane is currently one of four Chief Investigators of an Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Grant (2010-2012) which is examining the interconnection between educational leadership, professional development and the impact on classroom practices and students' academic and social practices. She is co-author of Travelling towards a Mirage? Gender, leadership, and higher education (2010: Post Pressed), which examines equity and equality practices and policies in Australian and New Zealand universities and the impact these have had on the participation of women as leaders and managers in higher education. She is currently undertaking a pilot study examining the role of capital in the lives of students of African refugee background in regional New South Wales.
- Feminist Bourdieuian theories of practice, educational leadership and refugee education
- Intersection of gender, ethnicity and socio-economic status in leadership
- Women and academic leadership
- Theorising educational leadership as practice/praxis
- Refugee students in regional Australia
- Teacher as Researcher
- Educational Leadership
- Australian Association Researchers in Education (AARE)
- Australian Council for Educational Leaders (ACEL)
- Australian Association Women Educators (AWE)
- Australian Women's Studies Association (AWSA)
- British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS)
- Fitzgerald, T., & Wilkinson, J. (2010). Travelling towards a mirage? Gender, leadership and higher education. Brisbane, QLD: Post Pressed.
- Wilkinson, J., & Alston, M. (1999). "Let's walk the talk inside the department": Messages to government, farming associations and agribusiness from the women of rural Australia. Wagga Wagga, NSW: Centre for Rural Social Research, Charles Sturt University.
Chapters in monographs
- Wilkinson, J., Gray, I., & Alston, M. (2003). Tumbarumba, New South Wales. In C. Cocklin, & M. Alston (Eds.), Community sustainability in rural Australia: A question of capital? (pp. 135-169). Wagga Wagga, NSW: Centre for Rural Social Research, Charles Sturt University.
- Kemmis, S., Edwards-Groves, C., Hardy, I., Wilkinson, J., & Lloyd, A. (in press). Ecologies of practices: Learning practices. In P. Hager, A. Lee & A. Reich (Eds.), Learning practice. Dordrecht: Springer International
- Wilkinson, J. (2009). Good intentions are not enough: A critical examination of diversity and educational leadership scholarship. In T. Fitzgerald, & H.M. Gunter (Eds.), Educational administration and history: The state of the field (pp. 21-32). Oxon. New York: Routledge.
- Cocklin, B., & Wilkinson, J. (in press). A case study of leadership transition: Continuity and change. Educational Management, Administration and Leadership.
- Reupert, A., & Wilkinson, J. (2010). A whole new language and a whole new world. Alberta Journal of Educational Research.
- Reupert, A., Wilkinson, J., & Galloway, L. (2010). Neither fish nor fowl: Exploring seconded and contracted teachers' experiences of the university sector. The Australian Educational Researcher, 37(3), 39-56.
- Wilkinson, J., Olin, A., Lund, T., Ahlberg, A., & Nyvaller, M. (2010). Leading praxis: Exploring educational leadership through the lens of practice architectures. In T. J. Smith, C. Edwards-Groves, & R. Brennan Kemmis (Eds.), Pedagogy, Culture and Society. Special Issue: Pedagogy, Education and Praxis, 18(1), 67-80.
- Wilkinson, J. (2010). Is it all a 'game'? Analysing academic leadership through a Bourdieuian practice lens. In S. Rawolle, J. Wilkinson, &I. Hardy (Eds.), Critical Studies in Education. Special Issue: Policy and Leadership as Practice: Foregrounding Practice in Educational Research, 50 (1), 41-54.