Dr Jianxin (Richard) Liu
BA (NU, China), MEd & PhD (Sydney)
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6338 4700
Dr Richard (Jianxin) Liu is a lecturer in Literacy and ESL at the School of Teacher Education responsible for developing and delivering subjects in multiliteracies and TESOL. He has a BA in English Linguistics and Education a MEd (in TESOL; with merit), and a PhD. Richard started his career as a secondary school EFL teacher and then became an academic teaching and researching language acquisition.
Richard's research interests include applied linguistics, new literacies, discourse studies, and cultural studies. He is particularly interested in comparative literacy research and multi-modal discourse analysis.
- New literacies
- Paltridge, B., Thomas, A, and Liu, J. (2011). Sex and the City as genre and performance. In R. Piazza, F. Rossi & M. Bednarek (eds.), Telecinematic discourse: An introduction to the fictional language of cinema and television (pp. 249-262). London: John Benjamins.
- Liu, J. (2010). Gendered performances and norms in personal blogs. Gender Forum: An Internet Journal for Gender Studies, 30 (de-voted). Available online at http://www.genderforum.org/issues/de-voted/gendered-performances-and-norms-in-chinese-personal-blogs/.
- Liu, J. (2008). The generic and rhetorical structures of expositions in English by Chinese ethnic minorities: A perspective from intra-cultural contrastive rhetoric. Journal of Language and Intercultural Communication, 8 (1), 1-24.
- Liu, J. (forthcoming). Identity performances in situated multimodal discourses. The International Symposium on Language and Identity in Business Discourses and Communications, Beijing
- Liu, J. (2011). Migrant women, hooliganism and online recognition in Chinese personal blogs. Invited presentation, Language and Identity Symposium, Sydney.
- Liu, J. (2010). A multimodal discourse approach to academic conference presentations. In Z. Zhang. A multimodal approach to the analysis of situated discourse. Invited colloquium, 5th International Conference on Multimodality, Sydney.
- Liu, J. (2009). Personal blogs and identity performances. 2nd International Discourses and Cultural Practices Conference 2009, Sydney.
- Liu, J. (2008). Hypermodal representations on Chisnese lifestyle blogs. The 2008 American Association of Applied Linguistics Conference, Washington, DC.
- Liu, J. (2007). An ethnography of blogging: Contextualizing Chinese lifestyle construction on blogs. In B. Paltridge, J.X. Liu, C. Han and A. Thomas. Discourse and popular culture. Invited colloquium, 1st Discourses and Cultural Practices Conference 2007, Sydney.
- Liu, J. (2007). Blogging in Mainland China as a site for the construction and performance of socially situated identities. The 32nd Annual Congress of the Applied Linguistics Association of Australia, Wollongong.