Dip.T (EC) N'cle, B.Ed N'cle, G.Dip (Spec.Ed) Melb, G.Dip (TESOL) Deakin, M.Ed (With Distinction) CSU
Phone/Faxwork(02) 6338 6676
Helen Logan is a lecturer in the Faculty of Education at Charles Sturt University, Bathurst. She joined the university in 2005 at the Albury-Wodonga campus and was appointed to the Bathurst campus in 2012. Helen began her career as an early childhood educator and has taught in a variety of school and non-school settings including TAFE colleges and the birth to five sector. Her teaching experience encompassed the birth to 12 years age range.
Helen is involved in developing and delivering lectures and tutorials for the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) and the Bachelor of Education (Birth to 5 Years). Her particular interests include the provision of quality services for young children, early childhood policy, language and literacy acquisition, leadership, play and teacher education. Helen is currently undertaking a PhD where she is investigating 'quality' in Australian early childhood education and care policy.
Helen's major areas of interest include:
- Investigating quality in early childhood education and care (IQECEC)
- Early childhood education and care policy
- Early language and literacy acquisition
- Leadership in early childhood
- Play and young children's learning and development
- Inclusive practice in early childhood education
- EED 121 Children and Learners
- EMC 203 Play and Investigation as Curriculum (Literacy)
- EED205 Journey of Childhood
- EER 303 Research and Practice
- EMS 302 Investigation: Science, Mathematics and Technology in Early Childhood
- EEB 427 Leading in Early Childhood
- Member of Early Childhood Australia
- Member of Community Child Care Co-operative NSW
- Committee member of the Research Committee for the School of Teacher Education
- Member of the Collaborative Research Network (CRN)
- Member of The Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)
- Logan, H., Sumsion, J., & Press, F. (Under review). Uncovering hidden dimensions of Australian early childhood policy history: Insights from interviews with policy 'elites'. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal.
- Logan, H., Press, F., & Sumsion, J. (2012). The quality imperative: Tracing the rise of 'quality' in Australian early childhood education and care policy. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 37(3), 4-13.
- Logan, H., & Sumsion, J. (2010). Early childhood teachers' understandings of and provision for quality. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 35(3), 42-50.
- Zevenbergen, R., & Logan, H. (2008). Computer use by preschool children: Rethinking practice as digital natives come to preschool. Australian Journal of Early Childhood, 33(1), 37-44.
- Logan, H. (2008). Digital natives come to preschool: Rethinking practice. Every Child, 14(4), 2 .
- Review for Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood Education Vol (8) No.2. 2007.
- Logan, H. (2012). Problematising historical research: Guarding against the dangers of presentism. Research and Graduate Studies Faculty Forum, Wagga Wagga, August 20 – 22, 2012.
- Logan, H. (2011). Crossing boundaries over time: The rise of the concept of quality in Australian ECEC policy between 1972 and 2009. Symposium session 4 presentation, AARE conference, Hobart, TAS.
- Logan, H. (2010). Historical perspectives on constructions of quality in Early Childhood Education & Care (ECEC). Symposium session 3 presentation at the annual AARE conference, Melbourne, VIC.
- Logan, H. (2009). Using metaphor to explore early childhood teachers' understandings of, and provision for quality. Investigating Quality in Early Childhood Education and Care: Professional and practitioner perspectives. Symposium, presented at the European Early Childhood Education Research Association Conference, Strasbourg, France.
- Logan, H. (2008). Investigating quality in early childhood education and care (Part 2): Developing a mosaic of research evidence. Symposium 64 presented at the annual AARE conference, Brisbane, QLD.
- Logan, H., & Zevenbergen, R. (2008). Digital natives come to preschool: Rethinking practice. Early Childhood Australia (ECA) biennial conference, Canberra, ACT.
- Logan, H., Connell, G & Ruming, J. (2007). Computer Literacy: Computer use and young children. Building Bridges conference, Wodonga, VIC.
- Logan, H., & Ruming, J. (2006). Computer Literacy: Computer use and young children ... what do they know? Country Children's Services Association (CCSA) conference, Tweed Heads, NSW.