Professor Lexin Wang
B Med (Weifang Med Coll, 1985);
M Med (Peking Union Med Coll, 1988),
PhD (Uni Tasmania, 1998)
PositionProfessor of Clinical Pharmacology
Phone/Faxwork02 6933 2905
Prof Lexin Wang is an academic cardiologist specializing cardiovascular pharmacology and cardiac electrophysiology. He is also Clinical Professor at the Cardiology Unit of Macquarie University. He completed his training in clinical cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology at Peking Union Medical College and Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, and received his PhD in medicine from the University of Tasmania where he also worked as a clinical academic. He joined CSU in 1998 to initiate pharmacology and therapeutics programs, which now serve several courses in the Faculty of Science.
Prof Wang’s main areas of research are endoscopic repair of congenital heart disease, new diagnositc tools or therapeutic strategies for heart failure and coronary artery disease, and quality use of medicines. He has published more than 300 peer-reviewed journal articles and co-authored two major cardiology textbooks. He is a recipient of the CSU Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Research Excellence in 2002 and 2006.
Current subjects taught
- PHM430 Therapeutics
- BMS 301 Medical Science Special Topics
- BMS335 Clinical Cardiovascular Physiology
Research interests are centered on the management of heart failure, hypertension, coronary artery disease, stroke and novel keyhole cardiac surgeries.
Current projects include:
- T wave alternans in predicting sudden cardiac death in patients with heart failure;
- Stem cell therapies for stroke; and
- thoracoscopic repair of congenital cardiac defects in children and young adults
Fellow, the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ)
An author of more than 250 peer-reviewed articles in major national and international journals, and a co-author of two major cardiology textbooks.
Recent publications are listed as below:
- Ma ZS, Dong MF, Yin QY, Yin QY, Feng ZY, Wang LX. Totally thoracoscopic closure for atrial septal defect on perfused beating hearts. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2012; 41: 1316-1319.
- Ma ZS, Dong MF, Yin QY, Feng ZY, Wang LX. Totally thoracoscopic repair of ventricular septal defect: a short-term clinical observation on safety and feasibility. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2011; 142:850-854.
- Xiong X, You C, Feng QC, Yin T, Yang SH, Xie PC, Chen ZB, Wang LX. Pulse width modulation electro-acupuncture on cardiovascular remodelling and plasma nitric oxide in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2011;2011:812160
- Ma ZS, Dong MF, Yin QY, Feng ZY, Wang LX. Totally thoracoscopic repair of atrial septal defect without robotic assistance: a single center experience. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2011;141:1380-1383.
- Wang L, Liu GJ, Chen YX, Dong HP, Zhang YQ, Wang LX. Combined use of P-selectin and D-dimer in the diagnosis of portal vein thrombosis following splenectomy. Thrombosis Research 2010; 125:e206-e209.
- Chen QJ, Zhang MZ, Wang LX. Gensenoside Rg3 inhibits hypoxia-induced VEGF expression in human cancer cells. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 2010; 26:849-858.
- He SW, Wang LX. Impact of anaemia on the outcomes of chronic heart failure: a meta-analysis and systemic review. Congestive Heart Failure 2009; 15:123-130.
- Wu TG, Zhao Q, Huang WG, Wei JR, Chen SW, Zhao J, Huang LP, Wang LX. Effect of intracoronary tirofiban in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention for acute coronary syndrome. Circulation Journal 2008; 72:1605-1609.
- Zhang YZ, Xing XW, He B, Wang LX. Effects of testosterone on cytokines and left ventricular remodeling following heart failure. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 2007; 20:847-852.
- Wei TM, Zeng CL, Chen LP, Chen QY, Zhao RY, Lu GX, Lu CL, Wang LX. Bedside tests of B-type natriuretic peptide in the diagnosis of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in hypertensive patients. European Journal of Heart Failure 2005; 7:75-79.