The Master of Education (Special Education) is a specialist qualification designed for professionals who work in special education or who work with people with disabilities.
The course is designed to:
• build on previous study/experience and examine closely the theory that underpins practices aimed at working with people with disabilities;
• broaden perspectives through study of practices in a variety of settings and through analysis of relevant research; and
• examine closely the theory that underpins practices when working with students who have severe intellectual disabilities.
Bathurst Campus (Mid year admission is also available)
Normal course duration
Part-time 2 years (4 sessions)
1) have already completed basic training in special education equivalent to a fourth year specialisation in special education or a graduate diploma; and hold a Bachelor of Education degree or equivalent from an approved tertiary institution;
be a graduate of an approved tertiary institution with an end-on integrated professional qualification in teaching, speech pathology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, psychology or nursing;
possess other qualifications deemed to be equivalent by the Faculty of Education;
2) have access to people with disabilities in educational or other settings for the completion of practical exercises;
3) complete any additional qualifying subjects or course prescribed by the Faculty Board.
Applicants will be selected by DET interview for scholarship prior to applying to CSU.
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 64 points (eight subjects).
There are no compulsory residential schools.
The course comprises seven core subjects.
Session 1 (Autumn)
ESS402 Assessment in Special Education
ESS513 Communication Disorders
Session 2 (Spring)
EER500 Understanding & Critiquing Educational Research
ESS504 Working with Families in Special Education
Session 3 (Autumn)
ESS507 Special Education Project (16 points)
Session 4 (Spring)
ESS403 Managing Behaviour Problems
ESS512 Individualising Curiculum
School of Teacher Education
Telephone: (02) 6338 4348
Facsimile: (02) 6338 4417