Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Fees may apply
This course aims to:
- provide strong orientation to the key concepts and practices of the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other languages
- encourage reflective and critical appraisal of TESOL theory, policy, and practice
- improve professional competence and disciplinary knowledge
- provide the basis for developing leadership in the TESOL field
- increase awareness of the importance of TESOL research and research methods and their application
- permit highly qualified graduates to proceed to higher research degrees
Normal course duration
Part-time 1 year (2 sessions)
Part-time 2 years (4 sessions)
Graduate Certificate in TESOL
Students must hold an undergraduate degree or three-year diploma.
Master of TESOL
Applicants should hold an undergraduate degree or be able to furnish evidence which demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Dean of the Faculty that equivalent requirements have been met.
Applicants should hold an undergraduate degree and have appropriate facility with the language of instruction; or be able to furnish evidence which demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Dean of the Faculty that equivalent requirements have been met.
The Master of TESOL incorporates the Graduate Certificate in TESOL. Both courses are award entry and exit points, with the Graduate Certificate in TESOL being an exit point after completion of the nominated four subjects of the Master of TESOL.
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 64 points for the Master award and 32 points for the Graduate Certificate.
*The number of subjects and specific subject choices are described in the course structure and enrolment pattern for the course.
The course consists of eight subjects:
EML422 *Researching TESOL
EML426 *TESOL in Practice
EML503 English as an International Language
EML504 *Language & Language Development
EML505 *Professional Literacy in TESOL Context
EML506 Reconceptualising Discourse in the ESL Classroom
EML507 Discourse, Grammar & Analysis
EML508 Socio-Political Contexts of TESOL
*These subjects constitute the Graduate Certicate in TESOL.
This is a prescribed enrolment pattern for two annual intakes reflecting the session of subject offer. The recommended enrolment pattern is part time. Full time study is subject to approval of the Course Coordinator.
Mid Year Intake
* These subjects are also currently offered in the Graduate Certificate in TESOL.