Postgraduate Diploma of Midwifery
Fees may apply
The course aims to:
- Develop a safe, competent and adaptable graduate who, as a RM, will be a creative and critical thinker; reflective and ethical practitioner; educator and facilitator; a lifelong learner.
- Prepare registered midwives who are able to function in a broad range of health facilities ranging from primary/community to tertiary maternity units.
- Prepare a graduate who has:
- the knowledge, understanding and skill to work competently within a variety of midwifery settings and models of midwifery care
- the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and in diverse cultural settings.
- An understanding of primary health care, cultural issues and an appreciation of woman-centred midwifery care.
- Provide an affordable, accessible 12 month, pre-registration midwifery course to registered nurses wishing to live, work and study in rural areas
Wagga Wagga Campus
Normal course duration
Part-time 1 year (3 sessions)
Students entering this course will need to meet the following criteria:
- Registered Nurses wishing to achieve registration as a midwife:
- Authority to practice as a Registered nurse in New South Wales
- Employment with an approved participating hospital as a student midwife for the duration of the course.
- 2) Registered Midwives wishing to upgrade their midwifery qualification:
- Registration as a midwife
Registered midwives wishing to upgrade their qualifications are given 24 points credit. An additional 8 points credit is awarded to registered midwives who are the nominated midwifery facilitator in an accredited, partnering unit.
Registered Nurses enrolling in the course receive no credit points on entry.
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 64 points and completion of a concurrent, 1500 hour (twelve month) clinical component, undertaken during enrolment in the course.
This course has been approved by the NSW Nurses and Midwives Board as suitable preparation for an authority to practice midwifery in New South Wales.
The course consists of the following core subjects:
MID443 Midwifery Practice (24 points)
MID441 Midwifery Studies 1
MID442 Midwifery Studies 2
MID452 Issues in Midwifery
MID524 Midwifery Evidence, Connections and Complementary Therapies
MID525 Midwifery Models