This subject contains a 20 days Compulsory Workplace Learning component.
- The work undertaken must be of a standard at least equivalent to that which would be undertaken in undergraduate second and third year laboratories. Students will be encouraged to build on skills developed in CHM213 and CHM321 and completion of these two subjects prior to placement is required to ensure that the student has sufficient skills and knowledge of laboratory safety to complete the placement at a satisfactory level.
- The work experience must either involve some aspect of a research project, or include experience with a wide range of advanced laboratory techniques. Where a placement is judged to contain insufficient research experience or diversity of work, the student may be required to complete two shorter placements rather than one long one.
- The work experience must provide opportunity for the student to critically assess new skills that they have developed and laboratory practices they have been exposed to.
- The work undertaken may include handling of confidential data, in which case the student will need to request approval from the employer during the proposal stage for the Subject Coordinator to have sufficient information to be able to assess the students work experience.
- The students will be required to keep a log of their daily activities and report on their overall placement experience.