The focus of this subject is on helping teachers develop theoretical understandings, curriculum applications, and practical pedagogical strategies necessary to design, implement and assess effective programs for students in the intermediate division, grades 7-10. Teachers will learn to combine their knowledge of active student engagement, program planning and delivery for adolescent learners and their understanding of particular subject matter identified as their teachable subject. The first half of the subject focuses on developmental principles and characteristics of adolescent learners and explores program delivery models. The second half of the subject examines the Visual Arts Curriculum, resources and instructional pedagogies for the adolescent learner.
No offerings have been identified for this subject in 2019.
Ontario School of Education
Ontario College of Teachers accredited teachers only
* The Standards of Practice for the Teaching Profession and the Ethical Standards
* Understanding theories of adolescent development (social, emotional, physical, intellectual, linguistic, cultural, spiritual and moral), both historic and current, as they relate to the adolescent learner
* Understanding learning theories and the particular learning needs of the adolescent
* Understanding theories of exceptionality as they relate to the adolescent learner
* Recognizing and understanding curricular implications of educational destinations - work, college and university
* Understanding the impact of a positive classroom community on student behaviour and learning
* Developing and fostering a positive classroom community with a focus on the social cohesiveness and development of the group
* Understanding the theoretical foundations of Visual Arts
* Understanding learning theory specific to Visual Arts
* Demonstrating knowledge of Ministry of Education curriculum
* Identifying, accessing, assessing and integrating community, print, electronic and collegial resources that link closely to the Ontario Visual Arts Curriculum
* Employing instructional strategies appropriate for the adolescent learner for both individual and group learning experiences
* Using, accommodating, and modifying expectations, strategies and assessment practices based on the developmental or special needs of adolescent students
* Understanding, devising and employing a variety of assessment and evaluation instruments appropriate to the developmental stage of students and the delivery of the Visual Arts Curriculum
* Implementing effective classroom management strategies appropriate for the adolescent learner in Visual Arts
For any enquiries about subject selection or course structure please contact Student Central or email@example.com or phone on 1800 275 278.
For further information about Charles Sturt University, or this course offering, please contact info.csu on 1800 334 733 (free call within Australia) or enquire online.
The information contained in the 2019 CSU Handbook was accurate at the date of publication: September 2018. The University reserves the right to vary the information at any time without notice.