This subject introduces a school-wide approach to the prevention of reading difficulties in primary schools. The subject is grounded in the scientifically-based reading research and provides a specific focus on the prevention of reading difficulties applying a three tier model of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention. The subject moves beyond a focus on individual students and intervention design to examine features of effective school-wide reading improvement models and what school leaders and administrators can do to ensure best practices are adopted and maintained in primary school settings. Students will apply their understanding of the big ideas in beginning reading, curriculum-based measurement, collaboration and problem solving, leadership and professional development to determine what it takes to establish a school-wide framework for the prevention of reading difficulties in a primary school.
No offerings have been identified for this subject in 2019.
School of Teacher Education
Master of Inclusive Education or as determined by the course coordinator.
Students should have an understanding of concepts in ESS518 prior to enrolment.
- Applying the scientifically based-reading research at the school-wide level.
- The three tier model of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention of reading difficulties.
- Using curriculum-based measurement to determine reading risk school-wide.
- Determining appropriate instructional goals in reading.
- Explicit and systematic instruction in phonemic awareness, alphabetic principle (phonics), accuracy and fluency with connected text, vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Allocating prioritized, protected and uninterrupted time for reading across the school.
- Integrating goals, assessment and instruction.
- Differentiating instruction school-wide.
- Establishing a plan for professional learning in schools.
- Maintaining leadership during the process.
The information contained in the CSU Handbook was accurate at the date of publication: May 2019. The University reserves the right to vary the information at any time without notice.