Bachelor of Islamic Studies
Associate Degree in Islamic Studies [Exit Point Only]
Diploma of Islamic Studies [Exit Point Only]
Associate Degree in Islamic Studies AssocDegIslStud
Bachelor of Islamic Studies BIslStud
Diploma of Islamic Studies DipIslStud
Online - United Theological College
Availability is subject to change, please verify prior to enrolment.
Course duration is the effective time taken to complete a course when studied full-time (full-time equivalent duration). Students are advised to consult the Enrolment Pattern to determine length of study. Not all courses are offered in full-time mode.
Full-time: 1.0 year (or part-time equivalent)
Full-time: 3 years (or part-time equivalent)
Full-time: 2.0 years (or part-time equivalent)
Applicants for the Bachelor of Islamic Studies must meet the following requirements:
* An ATAR of 60 (including adjustment factors)
* Successful completion of two university-level subjects (AQF level Associate Degree or higher) demonstrating a reasonable prospect of success through the Grade Point Average (GPA) gained in these studies
* A completed AQF Certificate III or higher level qualification
* 50% completion of an AQF Diploma level qualification
* Successful completed of a Tertiary Preparation Course from an Australian University or an accredited provider demonstrating a reasonable prospect of success through the Grade Point Average (GPA) gained in these studies
* Work experience, within the same industry as the course profile, of no less than two years.
English Language Proficiency
Standard English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements apply. Refer to http://futurestudents.csu.edu.au/apply/english-language for the specific requirements.
Students that have completed the Diploma of Islamic Studies or Associate Degree in Islamic studies or its equivalent will gain credit into the Bachelor of Islamic Studies.
Students who have successfully completed the Diploma in Islamic Studies or equivalent will be awarded credit into the Associate Degree in Islamic Studies.
No special arrangements apply.
The Bachelor, Associate Degree [Exit Point Only] and Diploma [Exit Point Only] make up an articulated set of courses and credit is given in each higher level course for the subjects completed in the lower.
To graduate students must satisfactorily complete 192 points.
To graduate students must satisfactorily complete 128 points.
To graduate students must satisfactorily complete 64 points.
BACHELOR OF ISLAMIC STUDIES
To graduate with the Bachelor of Islamic Studies, students must complete 24 subjects (192 points). All subjects have a value of 8 points. The course consists of the following subjects:
" 10 core subjects (80 points)
" 14 restricted elective subjects (112 points) comprising:
- 4 x Arabic restricted electives, chosen from the list below;
- 6 x Islamic Studies restricted electives, chosen from the list below;
- 4 x elective subjects chosen from the Islamic Studies restricted electives list below OR from another discipline (prior approval from Course Director needed).
ISL100 Islamic Worldview and Faith Essentials
ISL110 Fiqh (Islamic Law) of the Five Pillars
ISL170 Ihsan (Spirituality) Essentials
ISL181 Sirah (Life of Prophet Muhammad)
ISL202 Usul al-Din (Foundational Islamic Theology)
ISL211 Usul al-Fiqh (Methodology of Islamic Law)
ISL230 Usul al-Tafsir (Methodology of Qur'anic Exegesis)
ISL232 Usul al-Hadith (Methodology of Prophetic Traditions)
ISL331 Advanced Study of Tafsir (Qur'anic Exegesis) Literature
ISL333 Advanced Study of Hadith Literature
Arabic Restricted Electives
ISL441 Arabic Skills 1
ISL442 Arabic Skills 2
ISL443 Arabic Skills 3
ISL460 Introduction to Arabic Reading
ISL461 Beginner Arabic Language 1
ISL462 Beginner Arabic Language 2
ISL463 Intermedate Arabic Grammar 1
ISL464 Intermedate Arabic Grammar 2
ISL465 Advanced Arabic Grammar
Islamic Studies Restricted Electives
ISL101 Mantiq (Logic) and Critical Reasoning
ISL151 Islam in the Modern World
ISL171 Akhlaq (Morality) and Adab (Manners) in Islam
ISL271 Purification of the Heart
ISL282 History of Prophets: Adam to Jesus
ISL312 Religious Service and Community Leadership
ISL313 Islamic Family Law
ISL353 World Religions in Australia
ISL355 Women in Islam and Islamic Cultures
ISL383 Islamic History and Civilisations
ISL399 Guided Research
DIPLOMA OF ISLAMIC STUDIES [Exit point only]
Students who satisfactorily complete the following 8 subjects (64 points) may exit with a Diploma of Islamic Studies:
ASSOCIATE DEGREE IN ISLAMIC STUDIES [Exit point only]
Students who satisfactorily complete the following 16 subjects (128 points) may exit with an Associate Degree in Islamic Studies:
" 8 core subjects (64 points): ISL100, ISL110, ISL170, ISL181, ISL202, ISL211, ISL230 and ISL232;
" 8 restricted electives (64 points) comprising:
- 2 x Arabic restricted electives chosen from the list above;
- 4 x Islamic Studies restricted electives chosen from the list above;
- 2 x elective subjects chosen from the Islamic Studies restricted electives list above OR from another discipline (prior approval from Course Director needed).
There is a degree of flexibility in the course structure, suitable to the large number of part time enrolments. Students are encouraged to complete the core subjects first as they serve as a foundation to the discipline. Students will structure their progress through the degree according to the requirements in the degree and to availability of subjects in a given session. A solid number of core subjects and electives will be made available to students to ensure they have a good range of subjects to choose from.
Students must ensure that they meet the Exit Point course structure if they choose to exit with their chosen qualification before completion of the Bachelors program.
The information contained in the CSU Handbook was accurate at the date of publication: February 2020. The University reserves the right to vary the information at any time without notice.