Associate & Sub-Deans (Graduate Studies)
Assoc Prof Margaret Woodward
|02 6933 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Prof Eddie Oczkowski
|02 6338 email@example.com|
|Dr Brian Hemmings
Faculty of Education
|02 6933 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Gayle Smythe
Associate Dean (Research, Honours & Graduate Students)
Faculty of Science
|02 6051 email@example.com|
Responsibilities of Associate & Sub-Deans (Graduate Studies)
- Membership of Research Advisory Committee and HDAC.
- Convening the Faculty Graduate Studies Committee.
- Dealing with student grievances and complaints.
- Student managing through Higher Degree forms (admission, application etc).
- Assisting the Research Office in order to provide Quality Assurance to the management of HDR students across the University.
- Interpreting examiners reports for students and supervisors.
- Membership of the University Thesis examination committee for examination of theses scoring outside 1 and 2 grades.
- Membership of the Admission and Progress Committee.
- Liaising with external supervisors.
- Reading research proposals from the Faculty and providing feedback to students and supervisors.
- Providing comments and critique on all University research proposals as part of the University Quality Assurance mechanism.
- Resolving differences among examiners.
- Admission enquiries and advice within the Faculty.
- Conduct Faculty based Post Graduate training sessions - (for example in Science and Agriculture this involves running the Seminar and Workshop day - equivalent to a conference with 4 concurrent sessions).
- Advising the Dean on Faculty examination matters.
- Convening meetings re examinations within the Faculty and managing this within Faculty processes associated with examinations.
- Appointment of supervisors in conjunction with Heads of Schools and Dean.
- Improving completion rates by pro-actively working with students through research presentations seminars, maintaining regular contact with all students, encouraging our off-campus students to come on campus more regularly, regularly maintaining contact with on-campus students.
- Advising students on regulations, leave, scholarships and annual reports.
- Ethics and project management issues and training.
- Work directly with HDR students by reading draft chapters where situations are problematic and to support supervisors.
- Becoming the principal supervisor of students when other supervisors are absent.
- Maintaining and developing supervision register for the Faculty by working with staff retraining courses.
- Monitor research methods and research proposal subjects.
- Involvement with Honours students and Honour programs as part of maintaining and encouraging entry to HDR programs.
- Assisting students and supervisors with budgets related to research support.