Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
Dr Min An
Position Senior Research Fellow
Chemist and Chemical Ecologist
Environmental and Analytical Laboratories
Location Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga
Phone 02 6933 4246
Fax 02 6933 2477
Dr An came to Australia for postgraduate training on a Chinese government scholarship. He completed one-year training in the University of Western Australian, before undertaking MRuSci through the University of New England, and then PhD studies through Charles Sturt University (CSU) as the first batch of CSU PhD graduates, supervised by three great Australian scientists, Prof. Walter Stern (UWA), Prof. John Lovett (UNE), and Prof. Jim Pratley (CSU).
Dr An has worked in the CSU as a research officer for ten years. During this period, he has developed expertise in using advanced chromatographic and mass spectrometry techniques for the analysis of natural compounds from plants, and developed his research profiles in the fields of chemical ecology (allelopathy) and hormesis. Dr An's position has evolved and was reclassified as Research Fellow in 2006, and he was promoted to Senior Research Fellow in 2007.
Recently Dr An has endeavoured to broaden his research interests towards wider scope of chemical ecology, particularly on chemically-mediated invasion ecology and root chemical ecology.
Research and Teaching
- Characterising annual ryegrass ( Lolium rigidum ) in Australia (ARC)
- Discovery of novel compounds as leads for natural herbicides ( GRDC)
- Innovative management of Silverleaf Nightshade and Prairie Ground Cherry ( MLA)
Dr An is currently co-supervisor for six postgraduates enrolled through CSU and also through two Chinese universities.
Regional Editor - Allelopathy Journal.
- Chemical ecology (Allelopathy)
- Chemically-mediated invasion ecology and theoretical ecology
- Root chemical ecology
- Hormesis fundamental and its applications
- Weed management by natural alternatives
- Applications of advanced chromatographic and mass spectrometry techniques in biological, agricultural and environmental sciences for the characterisation of chemicals of interest.
An M , Pratley JE, Wu HW and Liu DL (2007) Deterioration of pasture quality due to allelopathy: the Australian experience. Allelopathy Journal 19 (1), 37-48.
Bi H, Zeng, R, Su, L, An M and Luo, SM (2007) Rice allelopathy induced by methyl jasmonate and methyl salicylate. Journal of Chemical Ecology 33 , 1089-1103, doi: 10.1007/s10886-007-9286-1.
Iqbal J, Cheema ZA and An M (2007) Intercropping of field crops in cotton for the management of purple nutsedge ( Cyperus rotundus L.). Plant and Soil 300 ,163-171, doi: 10.1007/s11104-007-9400-8 .
An M , Wu HW, Liu DL, Antolovich M , and Liu YH (2006) Metabolomic characterization of lavender plant species by profiling volatile metabolites from living flowers using SPME-GC/MS. Metabolomics 4 , 328.
An M , Pratley JE, Haig T and Liu DL (2005) Whole-range assessment: a simple method for analysing allelopathic dose-response data. Nonlinearity in Biology, Toxicology and Medicine 3 (2), 245-59.