Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
Dr Marie S. Bhanugopan
BVSc(India), MVSc(India), PhD(Syd)
Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology
Location School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences
Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga
Phone 02 6933 4037
Fax 02 6933 4348
Marie joined the School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, CSU in September 2008. She graduated with a BVSc ( Bachelor of Veterinary Science ) degree in 1996 from the Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University , Tamilnadu , India . She won a junior research fellowship from the Indian Council of Agricultural Research and had the opportunity to pursue a MVSc in Animal Nutrition at the Kerala Agricultural University , India in 1998. Her masters' research was on the “Nutritive evaluation of carcass meal for growth and carcass traits in Large White Yorkshire Pigs”. She completed her PhD from the University of Sydney in 2006, focusin on “Improving bone health and optimising calcium metabolism in the dairy cow to minimise the risk of milk fever”. Her research interests include calcium homeostasis and the role of Vitamin D in bone health, mineral interactions and peri-parturient disorders in dairy cattle.
Research and Teaching
- Effective supplementation of late pregnant and lactating ewes grazing dual purpose wheat
- Investigating the role of Vitamin D in fetal programming of bone development: defining early roles using an invivo and invitro model of fetal osteogenesis.
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Physiology
- Regular member of the American Physiological Society
- Regular member of the International Bone and Mineral Society
- Member of the Nutrition Society of Australia
- Role of Calcium and Vitamin D in bone health
- Hypocalcaemia and Hypomagnesaemia in sheep and cattle
- Peri-parturient diseases in dairy cows - Milk Fever or Parturient Paresis
Bhanugopan MS , Fulkerson WJ, Fraser DR, Hyde M and McNeill DM (2010). Carryover effects of potassium supplementation on calcium homeostasis in dairy cows at parturition. Journal of Dairy Science 93, 2119-2129.
Bhanugopan MS , Fraser DR, Fulkerson WJ, Hyde, M (2005) “Effect of Dietary Potassium on Calcium absorption in the rumen and intestine of sheep” “ Current Topics in Dairy Production , Dairy Research Foundation, University of Sydney, Australia.
Bhanugopan MS , Rankin A, Fraser DR, Hyde M, McNeill DM (2004), “Improving bone health to optimise calcium metabolism in the dairy cow”, In Proceedings of the Nutrition Society of Australia. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition , 13 (Suppl) S54. ( Oral presentation)
Bhanugopan MS , Havrlant P, Fraser DR, Hyde M, McNeill DM (2004) “Effect of Supplementation of Potassium precalving on bone health and calcium metabolism at calving in dairy cows- Plasma Magnesium, Current Topics in Dairy Production , Dairy Research Foundation, University of Sydney, Australia 9, 65-66.
Bhanugopan MS , Rankin A, Fraser DR, Hyde M, McNeill DM (2003) “Improving bone health to optimise calcium metabolism in the dairy cow- Urine pH”, Current Topics in Dairy Production , Dairy Research Foundation, University of Sydney, Australia 8, 104-105.