Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
Dr Jane Heller
BSc(Newcastle), BVSc(Syd), DipVetClinStud(Syd), MVetClinStud(Syd), PhD(Glasgow)
Position Lecturer in Veterinary Epidemiology and Public Health
Location School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga
Phone 02 6933 2839
Jane worked initially in small animal medicine in private practice and in clinics of the University of Sydney (Camden) and the University of Glasgow, before concentrating on her interests in quantitative epidemiology at the University of Glasgow. Jane has completed a PhD, using simulation modelling in the area of Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in dogs and previous areas of research include the epidemiology of Elapid snake envenomation in dogs and specifically the development of diagnostic tests . Jane's main interest is in infectious disease epidemiology, with particular reference to antimicrobial resistant organisms, and the potential for zoonotic transfer of pathogens between animals and humans. Jane is currently studying towards specialist status within the European College of Veterinary Public Health, in the subspecialty of population medicine.
(FoR codes: 070704, 111700, 070700)
- Defining veterinary and medical knowledge, interest and priorities for zoonotic disease and “one health” in Australia
- Defining the cost of zoonotic disease in Australia
- Use of Acute Phase Proteins in diagnosis and prognosis of companion animal disease (in collaboration with the University of Glasgow)
- Establishing standards for prognostication of neoplastic disease (in collaboration with J. Webster, M. Dennis, N. Dervisis)
Teaching within the veterinary science course:
- Coordination of Population Medicine 4 (5 th year PBL)
- Coordination of Public Health and Biosecurity 2 (5 th year PBL)
- Member of the Society of Veterinary Preventive Medicine (SVEPM)
- Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS)
- Infectious disease control
- Zoonoses and “One Health”
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Companion animal epidemiology
Heller J , Kelly LA, Reid SWJ, Mellor DJ (In Press) Qualitative risk assessment of the acquisition of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in pet dogs. Risk Analysis 30(3), 458-472.
Heller J , Armstrong SK, Girvan EK, Reid SWJ, Moodley A, Mellor DJ (2009). Prevalence and distribution of Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) within the environment and staff of a university veterinary clinic. Journal of Small Animal Practice Apr; 50(4) ,168-73.
Rendle DI, Heller J , Hughes KJ, Innocent GT and Durham AE (2009). Stability of common biochemistry analytes in equine blood stored at room temperature. Equine Veterinary Journal May 41(5) , 428-432.
Geraghty T, Love S, Taylor D , Heller J , Mellor D, Hughes K (2009) Assessment of subclinical catheter-related venous diseases in horses and associated risk factors. Veterinary Record . Feb 21; 164(8) , 227-31.
Draffan D, Clements D, Heller J , Bennett D, Carmichael S (2009) The role of Computed Tomography in the classification and management of pelvic fractures. Veterinary Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 22(3) , 190-7.