Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
BVSc (Syd), FACVSc, DipECEIM
Position Senior Lecturer
Equine Internal Medicine
School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences
Location Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga
Phone 02 6933 4253
Fax 02 6933 2991
After graduation from the University of Sydney in 1995, Kris worked for 3 years in mixed animal practice in Victoria , before returning to the University of Sydney and undertaking a residency in equine medicine. After completing his residency, Kris worked at the University of Glasgow as a senior lecturer in equine medicine. Kris is a registered specialist in equine internal medicine, having obtained Australasian and European speciality qualifications. Kris has worked in referral practices at the University of Sydney and the University of Glasgow and now CSU. His research interests are lower airway diseases of horses, including immunological aspects; methods of non-invasive diagnosis of inflammatory airway diseases and pulmonary function testing; equine gastroenterology; pharmacological cardiac stress testing in horses and renal physiology of horses. Kris is a member of the examination committee for the European College of Equine Internal Medicine.
Research and Teaching
- Use of exhaled breath analysis for the assessment of lower respiratory tract health and disease
- Risk factors for gastric ulceration in horses
- Studies of effects of certain pharmaceutical agents on renal physiology in horses
- Pharmacological cardiac stress testing in horses
- Early detection of NSAID-induced renal and colonic damage
- Prevalence of cholesteatomas in horses and histological characteristics
- Diagnostic testing in equine neurological disease
- Teaching into problem-based learning component of veterinary curriculum (Phase 2)
- Teaching into equine clinical rotations at Veterinary Clinical Centre (Phase 2 and Phase 3)
- Teaching into veterinary physiology course (Phase 1)
- Fellow of the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists (Equine Medicine)
- Diplomate, European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Member of the examination committee, European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Specialist registration in Equine Medicine, Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW
- Member of the British Equine Veterinary Association
- Lower airway diseases of horses
- Equine cardiorespiratory medicine
- Equine pharmacology
- Equine physiology and medicine
|Duz M, Whittaker AG, Love S, Parkin TDH and Hughes KJ (2009) Exhaled breath condensate pH and H 2 O 2 for the assessment of lower airway inflammation in the horse. Research in Veterinary Science 87 , 307-312 .
Whittaker AG, Hughes KJ , Parkin TDH. and S Love (2009) Assessment of concentrations of dust and endotoxin in equine stabling. Veterinary Record. 165, 293-295 .
Oswald J, Love S, Parkin, TDH and Hughes KJ (2009) Prevalence of cervical vertebral stenotic myelopathy in a population of thoroughbred horses . Veterinary Record. 166, 82-83.
Whittaker AG, Love S, Parkin TDH, Duz M and Hughes KJ (2009). Stabling causes a significant increase in the pH of the equine airway. Equine Veterinary Journal. 41 , 940-943.
Duz M, Whittaker, AG, Love S, Parkin TDH, Hughes KJ (2010). Validation of a digital audio recording method for the objective assessment of cough in the horse. Research in Veterinary Science 89 ,266-271.