Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
Dr Mark Norton
BA (Flinders), BAppSc (QAC), MAgrSt (UQ), PhD (LEPSE/UQ)
Position Research Scientist
Location NSW DPI, C/- CSIRO, Black Mountain, Canberra
Phone 02 6246 5548
Fax 02 6246 5166
Mark joined NSW Agriculture (now NSW DPI) in 1990 as a research agronomist and has undertaken research in pasture plant evaluation, cropping and pasture systems, pasture management and forage plant physiology. He has over 25 years research experience in a range of countries including temperate and tropical Australia , Pakistan , France and Germany and has written extensively. Mark undertook his PhD research at the Laboratory for the Ecophysiology of Plants in Stress Environments (LEPSE) of INRA at Montpellier, France and wrote his thesis at the University of Queensland. Mark is an authority on traits associated with drought survival in perennial grasses.
- Future Farming Industries CRC Project-Improved perennial grass cultivars for the inland slopes of the Great Dividing Range.
- Future Farming Industries CRC Project-Feasibility of perennial wheat in Australia.
- Southern Rivers CMA supported project-Monaro Research, Development and Demonstration of Sustainable Grassland Management.
- AWI supported project-The effect of lime and P application on pasture production and composition, wool production, soil properties and economic return on the southern tablelands.
- Co-supervision of one PhD student on a study assessing the feasibility of perennial wheat.
- Secretary - Australian Society of Agronomy, membership of Grassland Society of NSW and Grassland Society of Southern Australia.
- Mark's research interests include, pasture ecophysiology and agronomy, improvement of plant persistence under drought, summer dormancy in temperate perennial grasses, dehydration avoidance / tolerance and plant water relations, climate-change impacts on plant productivity and persistence, improvement of pasture persistence by ameliorating low pH soils with lime, the development of a perennial wheat.
Norton MR, Lelievre F and Volaire F (2012). Summer dormancy in Phalaris aquatica L., the influence of season of sowing and summer moisture regime on two contrasting cultivars. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 198, (1)1-13 .
Norton MR, Volaire F, Lelièvre F and Fukai S (2009). Identification and measurement of summer dormancy in temperate perennial grasses. Crop Science 49, (6), 2347-2352.
Norton MR, Lelievre F, Fukai S and Volaire F (2008). Measurement of summer dormancy in temperate perennial pasture grasses. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 59, (6), 498-509.
Norton MR, Lelievre F and Volaire F (2006). Summer dormancy in Dactylis glomerata L. , the influence of season of sowing and a simulated mid-summer storm on two contrasting cultivars. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 57, (5), 565-575.
Norton MR, Volaire F and Lelievre F (2006). Summer dormancy in Festuca arundinacea Schreb. , the influence of season of sowing and a simulated mid-summer storm on two contrasting cultivars. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 57, (12), 1267-1277.