Members Quick finder:
- Click here for Higher Degree Research Students
Dr Sharanne Raidal
BVSc, MVSt, PhD, GradDipEd, FANZCVSc
Position Associate Professor, Equine Medicine
Location School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, CSU
Phone 02 6933 4453
Fax 02 6933 2818
Sharanne graduated from the University of Sydney in 1989 and completed a Residency and Masters of Veterinary Clinical Studies in equine medicine and surgery at the University of Queensland. Returning to the University of Sydney, she undertook a PhD in microbiology and respiratory immunology investigating the role of physical factors in the development of pleuropneumonia in horses. Upon completion of her PhD, Sharanne travelled to Perth where she worked in equine private and university practice for 7 years, before accepting a post-doctoral position at Murdoch University. At Murdoch University and CSU, Sharanne lectured in veterinary physiology before returning to a clinical position and completing specialist qualifications in equine medicine with the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists in 2009. Her research interests include respiratory diseases of horses, neonatology, pharmacology, microbiology and physiology.
Research and Teaching
- Infectious and inflammatory airway diseases of horses
- Safety and efficacy of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Renal and respiratory physiology
- Pharmacology, including novel drug delivery techniques
- Microbiology, including diagnostic testing and antimicrobial resistance
- Neutrophil function and innate immunity
- Phase 3 (clinical) coordinator
- Teaching into equine clinical rotations at the Veterinary Clinical Centre (Phases 2 and 3)
- Veterinary physiology (Phase 1)
- Animal and equine science (ASC171 Animal Anatomy and Physiology, ASC309 Equine Rehabilitation)
- Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists (Equine Medicine)
- Member of the Australian Veterinary Association
- Member of Equine Veterinarians Australia
- Member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners
- Respiratory diseases of horses
- Equine neonatology
- Equine pharmacology
- Equine physiology and medicine
D’Arcy-Moskwa E, Noble G, Weston L and Raidal SL (2011). Determination of sucrose in equine serum using liquid chromatography - mass spectrometry (LC-MS). Journal of Chromatography B. (E-pub ahead of print; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2011.09.049)
Tinworth KD, Boston RC, Harris PA, Sillence MN, Raidal SL and Noble GK (2011). The effect of oral metformin on insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant ponies. The Veterinary Journal. (E-pub ahead of print; doi: 10.1016/j.tvjl.2011.01.015).
Raidal SL and Edwards S (2008). Pharmacokinetics of potassium bromide in adult horses. Australian Veterinary Journal 86: 87-193.
Wang L, Raidal SL, Pizzirani A and Wilcox GE (2007). Detection of respiratory herpesviruses in foals and adult horses determined by nested multiplex PCR. Veterinary Microbiology 121: 18-28.
Raidal SL, McTaggart C, Yovich JV and Penhale J (2005). Effect of withholding macromolecules on the duration of intestinal permeability to colostral IgG in foals. Australian Veterinary Journal 83: 78-81.