Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University

Individual Programs - work placement/internship/volunteering

Wheelchair Rugby Interview"This experience has put me in a great position as a graduating sports journalism student. I made plenty of contacts, met so many great people, and received positive feedback from the two governing bodies of the sport, the International Paralympic Committee and the International Wheelchair Rugby Federation. I believe this experience has made me more employable because it has shown that I am organised, independent, and committed to my future career by arranging to undertake an internship overseas. I would strongly recommend travelling whilst at university to anyone, it can take you anywhere and will change your life."  Beau Greenway, Individual program to Wheelchair Rugby World Championships, Denmark 2014

CSU Global realises that not every student's needs can be accommodated through our own Short Term Programs and that you may be restricted in when/where you can travel and what academic recognition you can receive.

To accommodate this we encourage you to create your own adventure! You decide the destination, time and duration of your program to suit your personal and academic needs. This could be organised yourself, through School contacts or third party providers such as those listed below. This is a great option to accommodate your internship, professional or work placement hours.

Regardless of how you arrange your program there are some important steps to take to ensure you are properly prepared.

All students travelling abroad for CSU study purposes must register their experience with CSU Global.

Download your Registration of International Travel Form

Completed forms and supporting documents should be returned to the CSU Global office at least four weeks prior to your departure from Australia.

Academic credit 

Do you intend to receive academic recognition for your time abroad?  This could be through full or partial subject credit, professional experience/placement hours or Animal Husbandry Extramural Studies (AHEMS).  Although any overseas experience is valuable you must liaise with your Course Director if you wish your program to be reflected in your CSU studies.

Financial Assistance 

Do you wish to obtain financial assistance to aid you with your travel related expenses?  There is a range of funding opportunities for students who receive academic credit for their overseas experience. More information on funding and scholarships.

CSU currently has a number of $3000.00 scholarships available to students who undertake a placement/workplace learning in China prior to 1 July 2019.  More information on this scholarship.


Do you know what type of insurance cover you will need? Any person travelling overseas should purchase travel insurance. However, the purpose of your travel and the types of activities you will undertake while overseas may determine just what level of cover you will require.  At a minimum you should purchase a policy that covers:

  • Medical Expenses $500,000
  • Repatriation Expenses $15,000
  • Personal Liability $1,000,000
  • 24hr Emergency Assistance Included

Postgraduate students undertaking a credit bearing trip are eligible to purchase subsidised travel insurance through our preferred travel agency. This is the same agency and insurance CSU staff use whilst on international travel. Please contact CSU Global for further details.

Visas and immunisations

Do you require a visa to enter your destination country?  The answer to this may depend on the types of activities you will be undertaking whilst overseas.  Be sure to check with the relevant embassy/consulate and be sure to disclose the purpose of your trip.

Have you checked what immunisations you need? The Australian Government's Smartraveller website is a great resource for this type of information. You should also consult your GP for immunisation and general health advice.

Where to go?

The sky could be the limit in terms of destinations available if you want to do the legwork yourself.  Otherwise, the links below will provide you with some great alternatives with 3rd Party Providers which could do all the organisation for you.

Regardless of the purpose of your trip you should still register your travel with the University. This will ensure CSU can contact you in the event of an emergency and that your travel can be added to CSU's student mobility statistics.

If you have any other questions about the types of experiences you can have through an Individual Program please feel fee to get in touch with the team - email CSU Global