Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University


Does it add time on to my degree?

No. If your exchange is planned carefully you should be finishing your degree at the same time as your fellow CSU undergraduate students.

When is the best time to study on exchange?

You should meet with your course coordinator to confirm when the best time to spend one or two semesters on Exchange is but usually the second year of your degree is the ideal time. For those planning to go on exchange in your final year of study you must ensure you have enough subjects left in your course to retain full-time enrolment whilst overseas.  Many CSU courses have specialised final year subjects which may have to be completed at CSU.

How do I choose the right subjects?

See the 'Locations' page for further information about each institution and browse their website for subject choice.  You will need to accurately match the CSU subjects you would normally study on campus with complimentary ones at the exchange university of your choice. Talk to your course coordinator about any classes you are interested in taking to make sure they are suitable.

How do I choose where to study?

Your most important consideration is to make sure your subject choices match your studies at CSU. You have a choice of more than 20 universities to study at. CSU's partner universities vary in setting, size, subject requirements and specialised areas. Use these factors to direct your choice. Language should not be a barrier, as all partner universities run the courses available for exchange students in English.

When should I start planning?

You should start planning as soon as possible. It is best to research your options and start organising your application at least six months before you intend to go on exchange. You can find out about CSU exchange partner institutions under locations on this website, which also provides direct links to the websites of each university. During this time you should contact the CSU Global Coordinator who can arrange for you to talk to other CSU students who have been on exchange as well as current exchange students at CSU.

Top of page

Is it better to go for a semester or a year?

In making this decision you will have to factor in your financial situation and the requirements of your degree. Your experience overseas will pass quickly; many students find that a year studying on exchange gives them a greater opportunity to immerse themselves in the culture and lifestyle of their host university's country, whereas one semester goes by too fast and they leave regretting missed possibilities.

I can only speak English - can I still study in a non-English speaking country?

Yes. We have exchange programs with a number of partner universities in countries where English is not the first language.  However, the subjects available to exchange students  are conducted in English.  While studying in an 'English as a Second Language' (ESL) country  you have the opportunity to undertake introductory language classes.  

Where will I live?

Most exchange students live in on-campus housing whilst studying overseas. The majority of accommodation at CSU's partner universities is made up of shared rooms so be prepared for a room mate. While private rooms are available in some universities they are significantly more expensive than shared accommodation. Some partner universities insist you submit your housing application before your exchange application, while others recommend you submit your forms together. The CSU Global Coordinator will assist you in applying for on campus accommodation. Some partner universities also have accommodation offices to assist students in locating off campus accommodation upon arrival.

Top of page

Can I work when I'm on Exchange?

If you intend working whilst overseas you must check the guidelines of the country you intend to visit and obtain the correct visa. In some countries, international students are only allowed to seek employment within the university where they are studying. If you are only going on exchange for one semester, we recommend that you concentrate on keeping up your grades as well as enjoying the social aspects of university life. Living overseas is an adjustment, so focus your energies on making the most of your time abroad.

What contact do I have with my host university before departure?

Once accepted into the Exchange Program by your host university, you will be sent a 'letter of acceptance' and pre-departure information. This will assist you in matters such as accommodation, health insurance requirements, airport/bus reception service, orientation and life in your host country.

Do I make my own travel arrangements?

Yes. You are responsible for your travel arrangements (including travel insurance) and obtaining your student visa/passport etc. You should purchase your plane ticket only after you have received your letter of acceptance from your host university and your student visa. Once you've received your letter of offer from your host university you should apply for your visa immediately as this can be a lengthy process.

What is expected of me as a Charles Sturt University Exchange student?

While on  Exchange you are an ambassador for Charles Sturt University. It is important to remember that your conduct and behaviour are a continual example of Australia and CSU. Be aware that there are different laws in different countries and you are subject to the laws of your destination country while you are there. Universities also have disciplinary committees and students can be fined and reprimanded for inappropriate behaviour.

Top of page