Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University

Travel Information

How do I get a passport, visa and study permit?


You should apply for a passport as soon as possible as your application can take around 6 weeks to be processed.  Those already holding a valid passport must ensure it will not expire while you are overseas or for 6 months after you plan to return.

Student Visa/Study Permit:

Most countries of our partner universities require you to obtain a study or residence permit/visa.

The usual documents required are listed below:

  • A valid passport
  • A letter of acceptance from your host university
  • Proof of enough money to live and study in the country of your host university
  • A ‘Certificate of Medical Clearance' or health insurance documents

If you plan to visit other destinations before or after your exchange experience you should also check the visa requirements of those countries before you leave Australia.

Useful links to the embassies/consulate offices are:

What health/travel insurance will I need?

Medical insurance is compulsory for all students accepted into the Student Exchange Program. Most partner universities will not accept students if they do not have appropriate health cover.  You need to ensure you are covered for the whole period you are overseas.

Do I make my own travel arrangements?

Yes. You are responsible for your travel arrangements (including travel insurance) and obtaining your student visa/passport etc. You should purchase your plane ticket only after you have received your letter of acceptance from your host university and your student visa. Once you've received your letter of offer from you Host University you should apply for your visa immediately as this can be a lengthy process.

Top of page