Short-term loans

You can apply for a short-term student loan to help pay for your study expenses.

If you're in need of immediate financial assistance due to an unexpected event, you may be eligible for an emergency loan.

If you're an international student in need of financial support, you may be eligible for an international student loan.

To be eligible to apply for a loan, you must:

  1. be currently enrolled in and undertaking subject(s) in an award course at Charles Sturt University
  2. be a commencing or continuing student at Charles Sturt University
  3. be a domestic student
  4. be making satisfactory academic progress
  5. have no outstanding debt with Charles Sturt University
  6. have the financial capacity to repay the loan.

You should read our Short-Term Loan Program Guidelines before submitting your application.

We will not grant loans for course fees, on campus accommodation, or payment of debts or fines. Contact to discuss your options for meeting these expenses.

Before you apply for a loan, have you looked at other options?

What counts as a study expense?

Study-expenses include:

  • Textbooks and other resources
  • Equipment required for your course
  • Travel and accommodation costs for compulsory workplace learning and residential schools
  • Study-related equipment such as a laptop
  • General living expenses where there is an unexpected shortfall
  • Emergency medical and dental expenses
  • Bond and rent in advance where you are moving for study-related reasons

Do I need a guarantor?

If you have completed less than 64 credit points of study, you will need a guarantor to borrow $300 or more.
If you have completed 64 or more credit points of study, you will need a guarantor to borrow $600 or more.

We will also sometimes ask for a guarantor for lower amounts.

Can I get a loan to pay my course fees?

We will not grant loans to pay course fees or other expenses owed to Charles Sturt. Contact to discuss your options for paying these types of expenses.

How much can I borrow?

The maximum loan amount is $2000.

Can I apply for more than one loan?

You may only take out one loan at a time.

How do I repay the loan?

You can repay your loan using the Charles Sturt online payment system. You can make payments every week or fortnight.

How long do I have to repay my loan?

You must repay your loan within 40 weeks or when you stop studying at Charles Sturt, whichever is soonest.

What if I can't make my loan repayment?

You should contact as soon as possible to make other arrangements. If you don't stay in touch, we may apply administrative charges, withhold your examination results or cancel your enrolment.

Complete the Short-Term Loan Program Application Form. Make sure you complete every section and sign the document.

Gather your supporting documentation. You will need copies of the following documents before you begin the application process:

  • Proof of income (Centrelink Income Statement, ATO notice of assessment and pay slips, bank statements showing regular deposits, or a statement from your parents supporting any allowance paid to you)
  • Charles Sturt Student Card
  • Written quote or invoice for the item/s you need to buy.

Find a guarantor. If you need a guarantor, they must email us the signed guarantor form themselves or send in an original signed copy. This is for legal reasons if a debt collector need to follow up the loan.

Email your application and supporting documentation to along with copies of your supporting documentation.

What happens next?

A Student Welfare and Finance Adviser will contact you to discuss your application.
You may need to provide a guarantor and/or a recommendation from your course coordinator.
The Student Welfare and Finance Adviser will check your eligibility and make a recommendation about your loan.

The Student Welfare and Finance Adviser will notify you of the outcome of your application.
If we approve your application, you will need to complete the Loan Agreement form. This is a legal document that outlines the conditions of the loan.

Finance will deposit the loan funds to your bank account or arrange payment to a supplier on your behalf.

You will need to email Finance receipts for the items you have bought when you have spent the loan funds.

Application forms

Need advice or assistance?

For more details contact your Student Liaison Officer on your campus.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?