Academic writing, assignments and essays
We can help you develop your academic writing skills for a variety of writing tasks, including:
- literature reviews
- critical reflections
- text for oral presentations
- and more.
Workshops, courses and discussions
We offer various workshops to help you with your academic writing, assignments and essays. You can find a workshop that suits the topic you need to brush up on, and register for it up to 30 minutes before it starts.
Short courses (Study Link) chevron_right
We offer short, online subjects that prepare you for success in your degree. Study Link subjects are FREE for all Australian and New Zealand residents, or holders of a permanent visa.
Talk to an expert chevron_right
Book an appointment
Book an appointment with one of our Advisers for personalised help to succeed at uni. We’re here when you need us - seven days a week and in the evenings.
Book an appointment
Get feedback on your assignment
Submit your draft assignment to a writing expert at Studiosity (our partner service) who will give you feedback on your work before you submit it for marking.
Discussion groups and forums chevron_right
Join an online forum with fellow students to discuss and share information about academic writing, essays or other related topics. You can learn from the experience and knowledge of other students.
Forums are monitored daily by Academic Skills Advisers. This will help you get an accurate and timely answer to your question.
Guides and videos
Downloads and guides chevron_right
- Writing your first assignment PDF File
- Academic writing style PDF File
- What is an essay PDF File
- Essay Plan Template MS Word Document
- Essay writing glossary PDF File
- Cornell note-taking PDF File
- Common instruction words PDF File
- Essay writing process structure PDF File
- Intro Body Conclusion PDF File
- Synthesising information PDF File
- Paraphrasing, summarising and quoting PDF File
- Linking words and phrases PDF File
- Editing Proofing Presenting PDF File
- Comparing Assessment tasks PDF File
- Research report PDF File
- Report writing checklist PDF File
- Introduction to Reflection PDF File
- Reflective writing PDF File
- Poster Presentations PDF File
- Guide to Writing in Science PDF File
- Checklist Ready Set Go PDF File
- Study Skills Self Assessment PDF File
- Learning Styles and Preferences PDF File
- Critical Thinking PDF File
- Critical Reading PDF File
- Sentence Fragments PDF File
- Success in Exams PDF File
- Note-taking in Lectures and Classes PDF File
- Note-taking While Reading PDF File
- Weekly study planner Word Document
- Session planner Word Document
Video tutorials chevron_right
These video tutorials are between 5 and 8 minutes long and will help you improve your writing and learning skills.
- Analysing Your Assignment Question
- Academic Reading Techniques
- Paraphrasing the Work of Others
- How to Structure a Paragraph
- What is Academic Writing
- How to Write in Text Citations
Workshop recordings chevron_right
These videos are recordings of our online workshops and are between 30 and 50 minutes long. If you would like to join a live workshop, please register online.
From start to submit: Writing successful assessments
- Getting Started
- Being a Researcher
- Putting it in Your Own Words
- Structuring Information: Getting the Flow
- Submit with Style