Appeal an Academic Progress Exclusion or Cancellation Decision
If you have been excluded from your course due to unsatisfactory academic progress, you may apply for an appeal.
You should submit your application within ten business days from when you received notification of your exclusion. Or, within twenty business days if you are an international student.
Read the University Student Appeals Policy and Procedure for the criteria and process on how to appeal.
Grounds for Appeal
An appeal application will be considered if you can demonstrate there is:
- evidence that there has been a failure to provide procedural fairness in the decision to exclude you for unsatisfactory academic progress, or
- there is new evidence of factors outside your control that impaired your academic progress in the relevant session(s), which:
- you could not reasonably have been expected to provide at the time the original decision was made, and
- would have been a significant factor in the original decision.
Before you submit your request
- We will generally make a decision based on what you write and submit in your appeal application, so you may want to look at How to Build a Strong Appeal Application.
- You may also want a Student Advocate to assist you or look over your appeal application before applying for an appeal. You can contact a Student Advocate at email@example.com.
How to appeal
- Use this word template to assist you in applying for appeal.
- Go to the Student Portal and submit the 'Appeal a Decision' form
Important things you should know
- We will assess your appeal application within ten (10) business days after submitting it.
- Late applications will be accepted in exceptional circumstances. To request an extension, email the University Student Appeals Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org before your appeal is due.
- You will receive an email when your appeal application is being reviewed.
- When you receive the email you will have five (5) more business days to add any additional information to support your appeal application, including any documentation or statements that were not included in your original request.
- A decision will be made after this five-day window has passed.
- You will be notified about the outcome of your appeal application via email.
What happens next
The decision made on your appeal application will be final and is not appealable. Once your appeal is assessed, you will be emailed an outcome of upheld, vary or denied.
If your appeal is upheld:
the original decision that was made will be reversed and you can continue with your studies.
If your appeal is varied:
then there will be specific instructions or conditions in the email sent to you.
If your appeal is denied:
the original decision made will remain and will not be changed.