Students are eligible to apply for special consideration if they are impacted by severe weather events due to flooding in QLD and Northern NSW.
If your studies are disrupted by illness or other serious circumstances, you can apply for special consideration for your subjects.
Before you apply
To apply for Special Consideration, the circumstances must have:
- been beyond your control
- impeded your ability to study or to meet subject requirements.
All students are eligible to apply for special consideration if they are impacted by COVID-19. This will allow you to take longer to complete a subject after the end of session through a grade pending (GP) grade or withdrawing from a subject after census date with an Approved Withdrawal (AW) grade.
Applying for Approved Withdrawal due to COVID-19
Students may be eligible to apply for Approved Withdrawal (AW) after census date. Approved Withdrawal will allow you to leave a subject without any academic penalty if you’re impacted by COVID-19, so you won’t have any negative impacts on your GPA or transcripts.
Requests for Approved Withdrawals that meet one or more of the following criteria will be automatically approved:
- You are working in the health industry or for an emergency services agency such as the police, SES, military, fire services and the like, and have experienced increased work commitments due to COVID-19. Where possible, provide a letter from your employer as evidence. Otherwise, specific evidence is not required.
- You have contracted COVID-19 and are unable to continue studying. Provide a medical certificate as evidence.
- You are unable to continuing studying due to increased carer commitments resulting from a family COVID-19 diagnosis, COVID-19 closures or other relevant COVID-19 impacts. As evidence, provide a statutory declaration, letter from a medical professional or information from a school about closures.
- Other COVID-19 related impediments have had a serious impact on your ability to continue studying. Provide appropriate documentation as evidence.
Other requests for Approved Withdrawal due to COVID-19 will be reviewed and assessed by your Faculty.
You will also be able to apply for a refund of your tuition fees if you are granted an Approved Withdrawal.
Types of Special Consideration
Types of issues and reasons you can apply
Short term issues during session chevron_right
Long term issues chevron_right
This includes issues:
- during session
- during the exam period
- that extend after the end of session.
You can then complete and lodge the Application for Special Consideration. Your supporting documents must be attached.
If your request is due to illness, include the Charles Sturt University Medical Certificate [PDF] as supporting documentation if possible.
Reasons you can apply for special consideration chevron_right
- Medical reasons.
- Family/personal reasons - including death or severe medical or personal problems.
- Employment related reasons - such as a substantial change to routine employment arrangements or status.
- Administrative problems - such as the late receipt of teaching materials, enrolment errors or delays.
- Sporting or cultural commitments - where a student has been selected to participate in a state, national or international sporting or cultural event.
- Military commitments - where a student is a member of the armed forces involved in a compulsory exercise.
- Legal commitments - where a student is called for jury duty or is subpoenaed to attend a court, tribunal, etc.
- Severe weather events that impact upon your ability to study
- Other events that pose a major obstacle to the student proceeding satisfactorily with his or her studies.
Reasons you cannot apply for special consideration chevron_right
- Routine demands of employment.
- Difficulties adjusting to University life, to the self discipline needed to study effectively, and to the demands of academic work.
- Stress or anxiety normally associated with examinations, required assessment tasks or any aspect of course work.
- Routine need for financial support.
- Lack of knowledge of requirements of academic work.
- Demands of sport, clubs, and social or extra-curricular activity (other than selection for state, national or international sporting or cultural events).
- Difficulties with the English language during examinations.
Deadlines for submission
Apply for special consideration as soon as possible after the circumstances have occurred.