Lost or stolen cards

It's important that you keep your Charles Sturt Card close by. But if you do misplace it, here's what you need to do.

Step 1

Temporarily lock your card if lost or misplaced

If you've misplaced your card:

  • go to the Student Portal
  • navigate to 'Charles Sturt Card' on the dashboard
  • lock your card.

You can go back to the portal and unlock your card if you find it later.

If you think the card's unlikely to be found, you'll need to get a replacement card.

If you lose your card during the weekend or holidays and need to use the library, simply present another form of photo ID – such as a driver's license or proof of enrolment – and you'll be allowed to borrow material until you get a replacement.

Step 2

Report it to the police if you think it's stolen

Don't delay reporting your card stolen – if your card is used for unauthorised building entry or transactions, you'll be liable for any resulting losses.

Take a copy of your police incident report to Student Central and we'll replace your card without charge.