CSU encourages employees to undertake further education. Study support is available to academic staff doing an approved program of study.
Academic staff may choose to enrol in courses and subjects offered by CSU in accordance with the policy.
Special Studies Program
Special Studies Program (SSP) offers the opportunity to undertake research, creative and professional activity, or the scholarship of teaching in areas of identified strategic importance to CSU.
To find out more about the Special Studies Program, contact your faculty office.
SSP key dates and processes chevron_right
SSP application process opens
Faculty Executive Officers coordinate Faculty Committees for August to September.
Membership of the Faculty SSP Committee consists of the following members and includes appropriate gender representation:
- Executive Dean (presiding officer)
- Two academic staff members of the Faculty, at least one a member of the professoriate
- A member of the professoriate external to the Faculty.
Faculty Executive Officers to check the eligibility of applicants against the below criteria:
- Continuing staff - employed for three or more years prior to the start date of SSP, or have been granted equivalent credit from another approved institution
- Fixed-term staff - employed on a fixed-term appointment of more than three years prior to the start date of SSP, or have combined continuous fixed-term employment exceeding three years
- Satisfactory completion of final probation review
- At least three years have elapsed since completing a previous SSP grant.
Faculty Executive Officers to complete columns 1 and 2 of the summary sheet. The committee will complete the rest.
Once completed, the summary sheet is to be sent to the HR Service Centre and the Travel Office.
Application process closes
July to August
Faculty SSP Committees meet to consider applications
By 30 August
Faculty Executive Officers to retain and file application forms.
Faculties will advise all successful and unsuccessful applicants.
Follow up successful applicants have lodged form 2, two months prior to the start of SSP.
Follow up successful applicants have lodged form 3, within two months of returning from SSP.
Advise the HR Service Centre and Travel Office of any changes to SSP.
Indigenous Academic Staff Leadership Scheme
The Indigenous Academic Staff Leadership Scheme provides financial support to Indigenous academic staff to complete an activity that will develop their leadership skills.
How to apply
To apply for the Indigenous Academic Staff Leadership scheme, complete the form.
Indigenous Staff Study Support Scheme
CSU is committed to supporting the career development of Indigenous staff. The Indigenous Staff Study Support Scheme provides financial assistance to those staff who would like to do part-time study.
How to apply
To apply for the Indigenous Staff Study Support Scheme complete the form.
Coursework Masters Study Support Scheme
The Coursework Masters Support Scheme is designed to assist academic staff who are enrolling in or studying a full fee paying coursework masters course at CSU.
How to apply
To apply or renew your Coursework Masters Support Scheme, complete the relevant form: