Working with children

Anyone who works or volunteers with children other than their own is legally required to have a Working With Children Check (WWCC). CSU employees must have a check if they work in a child-related area.

Child-related work

Child-related work means:

  • working face-to-face with children in a children's sector
  • work in a specified child-related role when contact with children is a usual part of the work, and not just incidental.

There are some exceptions. Check out the Office of the Children’s Guardian’s website if you’re not sure whether you or your employees need a WWCC.

Important: You won't be able to start work in a child-related position at CSU unless you have a working with children clearance number.

Applying for a New South Wales WWCC

If you're starting a new job (or changing jobs) in a child-related area, you must apply for a WWCC before you start work. To apply, you need to:

  1. Fill in an online application form at NSW Office of the Children's Guardian. If you cannot access the online system, contact details are on the Office of the Children's Guardian website.
  2. When you've completed the application, you'll get an application number.
  3. Verify your identity at a NSW Motor Registry or Government Access Centre. You'll need your application number and proof of identity.
  4. If you're in paid work, you'll also need to pay an application fee. There's no fee for volunteers, students, authorised carers or adults sharing their homes.

Application outcome and notification

When your application has been processed, you'll be notified of the outcome by email or post. There are only two possible results of a WWCC - a clearance or a bar.


If you receive a clearance, you'll get an email or a letter advising of your WWCC number and the date when your clearance will expire. Your check will remain valid for five years unless a new record triggers a risk assessment or bar against working with children. Your check may be used for any child-related work in New South Wales.


If a bar is being considered, the Office of the Children's Guardian will notify you. You'll be invited to submit information for consideration in making a final decision.

Other states and territories

Your WWCC must be relevant to the state or territory you're working in. If you have a check for another state but are working at a campus in New South Wales, then you must obtain a New South Wales WWCC.

If you're working from another state or territory, refer to the government website for that state or territory to determine whether a check is needed and how to apply:

Information for managers and supervisors

If your staff require a WWCC, you'll need to send the following information to

  • WWCC number
  • Date of birth
  • Full name.

HR staff will complete an online verification of the WWCC.