Introduction to Chemistry
Give yourself the best chance of success in your chemistry subjects with our Introduction to Chemistry – SSS010. This subject is designed to cover those concepts and skills in chemistry required by a student who is enrolling into a typical first year tertiary chemistry subject. Included in the subject is a section on basic mathematics that the student may need to review in order to cope with the rest of the subject.
This subject covers the following topic areas:
- Classification of matter.
- The nature of matter.
- Atomic structure.
- The formation of compounds - bonding.
- The physical properties of ionic and molecular compounds - a comparison.
- Nomenclature - naming chemical compounds.
- Chemical equations.
- Stoichiometry - chemical arithmetic.
- Solution stoichiometry.
- Organic chemistry.
You will complete 40 hours of online self-paced learning and have the support of your subject coordinator who will give you feedback as you build your skills and confidence in chemistry
|Session||CRN||Subject code||Subject name||Mode||Campus/Location||Term begins||Application closing date||Term ends|
Study material: 40 hrs
Subject Coordinator: Greg Carroll
This subject will be useful if you're studying:
- Agricultural and Wine Sciences
- Allied Health and Pharmacy
- Animal and Veterinary Sciences
- Exercise and Sports Sciences
- Medical Science and Dentistry
- Nursing, Midwifery and Indigenous Health
- Teaching and Education