Charles Sturt University
Graham Centre for Agricultural Innovation

Zahra Batool Naqvi

 Zahra Batool Naqvi

Improving tenderness in low valued beef meat

Tenderness is the most important quality trait and a key determinant of consumer acceptability and marketability of red meat.  It differs among bovine muscles from various anatomical locations, largely because of differences in the structural components namely the myofibrillar and connective tissue proteins. Previous studies showed that that prime grilling cuts are less than 10 percent of a carcass. Therefore, remaining 90% of carcass can be potentially improve by different processing techniques. Apart from variation due to genetics and pre-slaughter environment, processing and cooking techniques need to be optimized for different muscles in terms of their significant role in determining meat tenderness.  Sous vide is an emerging cooking technique currently employed at both commercial and domestic scales. Previous studies have reported improved tenderness as a result of sous vide cooking in meat from different livestock species. The current project aimed to reduce the toughness in low valued beef meat through application of different exogenous enzymes coupled with sous vide cooking. Improving tenderness in tough and low valued meat cuts can be economically rewarding for the red meat industry as well as enhancing consumer satisfaction.

Top of page


Michael Friend, Michael Campbell, Peter Thomson, David McGill, Robyn Warner

Top of page


John Allwright fellowship for PhD

Top of page


  • z Batool, H. M. Warriach, M. Ishaq, S. Latif, M. A. Rashid, A. Bhatti, N. Murtaza, S. Arif and P. C. Wynn. “Participation of women in dairy farm practices under small holder production system Punjab, Pakistan”. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 24(4): 2014, Page: 1263-1265. ISSN: 1018-7081
  • Wynn PC, McGill DM , Aslam N , Tufail S , Latif S , Ishaq M , Batool Z , Bush RD , Warriach HM and Godfrey SS. “The Impact of Extension Programs to Increase the Productivity of the Small Holder Dairy farming Industry of Pakistan”. International journal of Animal Science 2017; 1(2): 1008
  • Warriach, H. M., Wynn, P. C., Ishaq, M., Arif, S., Bhatti, A., Latif, S., Kumbher, A., Batool, Z., Majeed, S., Bush, R. D., Pasha, T. N., & McGill, D. M. (2018). Impacts of improved extension services on awareness, knowledge, adoption rates and perceived benefits of smallholder dairy farmers in Pakistan. Animal production science. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN17849
  • Wynn PC, Godfrey SS, , Aslam N , Warriach HM, Tufail S , Jahan M,  Batool Z , Bing W, McGill DM. “Making money from milk on small-holder dairy farms in the tropics: an international perspective”. Animal Production Science 2019, manuscript ID is AN19209.

Top of page