Note: From June 18th 2018, this subject will be identified for enrolment purposes by a new subject code - SSS064. It may still appear on current printed marketing material as SSS035.
Being able to think and read critically are key life skills and crucial for success at university. This subject will teach you how to think critically about claims and reasons, and how to adopt a critical approach to reading – preparing you to respond effectively in assessment tasks.
Topics covered in this subject include:
- How to critically evaluate the truth of claims;
- How to critically evaluate the quality of reasons;
- How to adopt a critical approach to reading;
- Knowing when to be critical of claims and reasons;
- Knowing how to be critical of claims; and,
- Knowing how to be critical of reasons.
During 26 hours of online, self-paced study you will work through examples and extensive practice of critical thinking concepts. Your subject coordinator will support you and give feedback as you build your skills and confidence in critical thinking.
Subject currently not offered this session.
Please note: You can start any time to suit you between Term start date and the close of applications.
Study material: 26 hrs
Subject Coordinator: Daniel Robinson
This subject will be useful if you're studying:
- Agricultural and Wine Sciences
- Allied Health and Pharmacy
- Animal and Veterinary Sciences
- Communication and Creative Industries
- Environmental Science and Outdoor Recreation
- Exercise and Sports Sciences
- Humanities, Social Work and Human Services
- Information and Library Studies
- Information Technology, Computing and Mathematics
- Medical Science and Dentistry
- Nursing, Midwifery and Indigenous Health
- Policing, Law, Security and Emergency Management
- Teaching and Education
- Theology and Religious Studies