This subject introduces and familiarises the student with the physics, instrumentation, techniques, protocols and clinical applications utilised in computed tomography in clinical practice. Instrumentation areas will include an introducing the principles of CT, as well as any relevant regulations, quality assurance, department planning and radiation/hazard protection involved in the equipment's operation. The study of clinical applications consists of an emphasis on the clinical indications and the procedural techniques of CT examinations, together with the pathology demonstrated and overall patient management.
School of Dentistry and Health Sciences
For each anatomical region/structure examination the following aspects are covered, as applicable to computed tomography:
- principles of computed tomography
- computed tomography instrumentation
- QA/QC in CT
- imaging anatomy - normal and common abnormal
- overview of common indications for the examinations, including effect on patient mobility
- effect on imaging parameters/protocols, as applicable
- patient preparation/care
- patient positioning, including common alternative techniques
- basic projections/image series/techniques/protocols
- immobilisation/positioning aids
- technical parameters
- critical assessment of anatomical alignment - patient and image appearances
- common supplementary/specialised projections/techniques, as applicable. e.g. abnormality specific protocols
- radiation safety and dosimetric considerations
Additionally, specific protocol and procedural requirements for hybrid systems and radiation planning will be considered.
For any enquiries about subject selection or course structure please contact Student Central or email@example.com or phone on 1800 275 278.
For further information about Charles Sturt University, or this course offering, please contact info.csu on 1800 275 278 (free call within Australia) or enquire online.
The information contained in the 2018 CSU Handbook was accurate at the date of publication: August 2018. The University reserves the right to vary the information at any time without notice.