Government assistance

The Australian government provides several options for assisting you in paying for your studies through tuition fee loans, living allowances, and scholarships.

More information on Australian Government financial assistance is available from the Australian Government Study Assist website


HECS-HELP is a loan available to eligible students enrolled in Commonwealth supported places.

If you are offered a Commonwealth supported place, you only make a contribution towards the cost of your education (known as the student contribution) while the majority of your tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government.

A HECS-HELP loan will cover all or part of the student contribution amount, and is repaid through the taxation system once a student's income reaches a certain threshold.


Youth Allowance

If you're 16-24 years old and studying full-time, you may be eligible for Youth Allowance.

If you are required to meet the independence test, and need to postpone your studies, CSU is committed to providing access and flexibility to applicants so please speak to us about your options to defer.

More on Youth Allowance


If you are aged 25 or over and are studying an approved full-time course at an approved institution (such as Charles Sturt University), you may be eligible for AUSTUDY.

Full-time secondary education courses, graduate courses, undergraduate courses, and some Masters, diplomas, and TAFE courses are approved for Austudy.



You may be eligible for ABSTUDY if you are of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and you are accepted as such in the community you live or have lived in.

You must be an Australian citizen and also be:

  • studying full-time or part-time at a TAFE , university or tertiary institution, or
  • doing a distance education or correspondence course, or
  • studying for a Masters or Doctorate degree.


Other Centrelink Assistance Payments

If you're a single parent, a pensioner, or you're returning to study, you may be eligible for a one-off payment or ongoing assistance to help you pay for university study.

More on Centrelink payments for Students or trainees

Government assistance for students in higher education

Government assistance with the costs of studying and living away from home that you may be eligible for:

  • Student Start-up Loan for some Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY and Austudy customers, and
  • Relocation Scholarship for some Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY customers who need to live away from home to study.

Contact Centrelink for information on these Scholarships


As a fee paying student, the Australian Government does not contribute towards your study costs, and you pay a tuition fee for each subject in the course. Fee paying students may be eligible for a loan to help pay for tuition fees through the Commonwealth Government Fee Help program.

More on Full Fees & FEE-HELP

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?