Where are you going? Think big. Build a vision of your future around a career, not a job and accelerate your career with our Careers and Skills Hub.
The Careers and Skills Hub team have the resources, tools and expertise to help you find your ideal job once you graduate. We can help you get a competitive edge over other job seekers, and, we can boost your employability rank so you stand out from the rest.
Strive Skills Forums
Enhance your employability skills! Register for our free, three-part Strive Skills Forum Series. They will help you prepare to be an effective leader now and in the future. SSAF-Funded Careers and Skills Hub project.
Prepare for the job Hunt
If you're looking to earn money while you study or you're ready to graduate and join the workforce, there are many different avenues you can use to find a job. You can search online, use a recruitment agency or liaise directly with an organisation to tap into the hidden job market.
Start with the Charles Sturt jobs board.
Earn As You Learn chevron_right
Other places you can look for work chevron_right
You can search for jobs online by:
- visiting job search sites, such as SEEK or Indeed
- looking at graduate jobs boards, such as GradConnection or GradAustralia
- finding jobs boards for where you live, such as on Evocities to find jobs in NSW regional cities or Jobsearch to find jobs in your area
- checking jobs noticeboards for your industry, such as Government jobs boards, health or creative jobs
- signing up to LinkedIn, joining Facebook employment groups or following job pages on social media
- looking at the Careers or Jobs sections of websites for companies where you’d like to work.
Find a job through networking chevron_right
There are lots of job vacancies that are never advertised. These unadvertised jobs are called "the hidden job market". To get these jobs, you’ll need to network with a range of professionals and look work out for jobs at companies in your circle. You’ll also need to work out how to tap into the hidden job market through methods appropriate for your industry.
Crack the hidden job market with these suggestions:
- put you name down on casual employment lists
- ask about short-term contracts or back-fill jobs at companies you’d like to work for
- follow company social media pages
- asking people in your professional circles if they know about any jobs
- networking with employers and professionals
- approaching businesses directly or cold calling
- get active on LinkedIn
- subscribe to company alerts
- go to Alumni events, conferences and other places where you may meet a prospective employer.
Build your hiring potential
For most students, the end goal of study isn’t just to graduate, it is getting a job. Give yourself a jump start ahead of other graduate job seekers by adding more credentials to your resume on top of your degree.
We also have other opportunities like voluntary work placements, mentoring and leadership programs.
Attend a workshop
Get the skills and experience to hit the ground running when you graduate. We have a rotation of workshop topics available throughout the year, here are a few examples. Login to your Student Portal to browse and register.
Review your resume with CV360
Want feedback on your current resume? Need advice on what to add or take away? In 2021 it is possible that your resume will be analysed by a machine before a human sets eyes on it. Have your resume scored against more than 50 checks to increase your chances of landing an interview.