The Quality Assurance and Reflection System (QUASAR):
- gives all teaching staff a place to reflect upon their subjects and plan improvements for the future
- helps staff to record the quality assurance processes (in particular moderation) which happen with a subject
- enables Faculties to record and provide feedback on assessment and subjects.
The purpose of this system is to enable the university to ensure quality, guide future improvements and comply with Higher Education Standards Framework (HESF) requirements. The HESF standards require us to support comprehensive reviews of courses of study through regular interim monitoring of the quality of teaching (HESF 5.3.3) and mitigate future risks to the quality of education and guide and evaluate improvements to subjects and courses (HESF 5.3.7).
- Single university-wide process, easy to use and access, reducing administrative burden
- Provides clear documentation on the quality assurance and improvements of subjects that can be used in course reviews, course accreditation, and reporting to TEQSA.
- Forms available based on allocated roles and functions.
- Subject Convenors, as well as Coordinators of each offering, can add comments.
- The timing of each form fits within timelines for subject preparation, delivery and reflection. This allows for quality assurance and moderation to be recorded at critical stages of delivery.
- The Subject Validation form verifies that the design work from subject and course reviews have been implemented.
- The Moderation and Grades form documents the moderation of marking and assists with the end of session processes in each subject.
- The Reflection and Planning form gives key data to evaluate a subject and allows the creation of action items to inform schools and associated divisions of work that is required in specific subjects.
- The system creates a feed-forward loop to improve quality by feeding the planned action items from one session into school plans for improvement prior to the next session of delivery.
- Academics get access to key data and the ability to request workload and resources.
- Provides reporting functionality for school, faculty and university governance committees to help assure that schools have robust quality processes. Data from each form is automatically collated into reports for School and Faculty Committees.
- Integrates with Interact2, CASIMS/CDAP, and key subject data.
The online forms in this system are used in conjunction with the current Faculty Assessment and Moderation guidelines.
Moderation and Quality Assurance is conducted at a subject level. All offerings and cohorts in a subject for a specific session should be moderated together, therefore there is only one form for each subject.
Subject codes for each session are pre-loaded into the Quality Assurance and Reflection System based on the data in the Subject Availability List (SAL). Academics will be allocated to the relevant subjects as either a subject convenor, subject coordinator or moderator. Subjects that are exempt from moderation (like higher degree by research thesis subjects) are automatically excluded.