Student mentoring program
Navigating the road that is university life is rewarding and challenging. From your opening days of study to preparing for your transition into the workforce, the Charles Sturt Mentoring Program and our team of student mentors are here to give guidance and support your learning and professional development.
Engaging in mentoring will see you expand peer and professional networks, develop employability skills, gain new knowledge and insights, and prepare for success in study and in your career.
Mentoring is open to all students, whether you’re studying on campus or online.
2021 mentoring programs
Three mentoring programs are open to students this year and focus on:
Foundations of university
Start your Charles Sturt journey the right way. Connect with an experienced student mentor and set yourself up for study success!
Build your professional brand
Build your peer and professional networks, develop your employability skills and grow as a professional.
Connecting to industry
Connect with Alumni, build your industry network and transition from university into the next phase of your career.
Become a Mentor!
Do you have excellent communication skills, rich leadership experience or a genuine drive to help other students succeed?
Join the Charles Sturt Mentoring team!
The benefits of mentoring
“I think the best mentor relationships are actually mentor-mentor relationships, where both parties show up to learn” – Simon Sinek
Mentoring is widely accepted as a positive influence on the undergraduate student experience – leading to improved academic performance and persistence.
Mentoring also positively influences a student's sense of belonging, capacity for socially responsible leadership, deep and strategic learning approaches, and self-confidence in professional skills and abilities (Lunsford, Crisp, Dolan and Wuetherick, 2009).
As a Charles Sturt Mentor, you will:
- provide support and guidance to peers in need
- cultivate an environment of learning, discovery and professional development opportunity
- connect with a dynamic student community
- develop your own leadership, communication and employability skills
- gain fresh skills and perspectives
- benefit from personalised training and professional development.
As a Mentee, you will:
- Gain valuable advice
- Grow your network
- Develop your skills and knowledge
- Improve your communication skills
As a Mentor, you will:
- Develop your leadership skills
- Develop your communication skills
- Gain new skills and perspectives
- Gain personal satisfaction