We will usually recommend a crown to fix a badly broken, cracked or decayed tooth. They provide the tooth with added strength, and durability. They can also improve the appearance of the tooth or teeth when necessary.
- We first assess the tooth and plan the process of making and fitting the crown. This may take two appointments.
- We then cut the tooth back to make space for the crown.
- Now we need to take a model of your teeth with a soft gel or a digital scanner.
- We provide this image to a dental technician to create the crown and match the colour of your teeth.
- We'll give you a temporary crown while the technician creates the crown.
- Once the crown is ready, we'll fit it to you tooth.
We use a dental bridge to replace missing teeth. If you've had a tooth removed, we may suggest this as an option.
- The steps are similar to the process of creating a crown.
- Once we have a model of your teeth, we add a crown either side of the missing tooth.
- We then create a false tooth (crown) to replace your missing tooth.
- Finally, we then connect all three crowns via a bridge to hold them in place.
The Australian Dental Association has more information on crowns and bridges.