Recognition of prior learning

Formal learning in the classroom at university or TAFE, as well as informal learning and experience in the workplace – is valuable. And, it can help you finish your course sooner.

If you've already studied a subject, or have lots of professional experience in the area, you may be able to apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL).

RPL is an acknowledgment of the skills and knowledge you've already acquired over the years. Even better, it helps reduce the amount of time it takes to finish your degree.

Types of RPL

Recognition of prior learning could mean you do not have to complete a particular subject (credit) or you can choose different ones instead (subject substitution) in line with our credit policy.

If you're granted credit, it means you don't have to complete a certain subject or group of subjects. You may want to seek credit if:

  • you've transferred from another Charles Sturt course and have already completed some of the subjects required for your new course
  • you've transferred from another university and have already completed an equivalent subject at your previous institution
  • your work experience is equivalent to one of the subjects you need to complete.

A subject deemed completed in recognition of prior learning via subjects completed in another course at Charles Sturt University or other institution approved by Charles Sturt University for the purposes of the credit policy.

A subject deemed completed in recognition of prior learning where you have demonstrated proficiency in a subject to the satisfaction of the Course Director or Course Coordinator.

Different types of credit you can be grants/apply for include:

  • Specified credit – credit granted for a specific subject or subjects.
  • Unspecified credit – credit that has not been applied to a specific subject but is rather applied to a certain number of points worth of course components, thus reducing the overall number of points remaining to complete that course.
  • Block credit – credit granted for whole stages or components of a course. Block credit may be specified or unspecified credit.
  • Forward credit (FCR) – a record of potential future credit that has been provisionally granted to a student in advance for approved study outside of their current course enrolment, on the condition that the student completes this study within the required timeframe.

You can't skip a compulsory subject. For these ones, RPL may be granted in the form of a subject substitution instead of a credit.

Substitution doesn't reduce the number of subjects you need to complete, but it gives you the chance to do a different subject instead and diversify your learning.

Apply for RPL

The Credit and Pathway Planner (CPP) is a system for you to request RPL.

The CPP works best in Google Chrome.

Login to the CPP

How to use the Portal

You'll need to enter your previous learning (provider and course or subjects) to submit your application for credit. You can then return to the portal to monitor your application's progress.

When you'll hear back

Once we receive your complete application (all supporting documents such as transcripts, subject outlines are attached), please allow 20 working days for processing.

Requests close to census date

If it's close to census date and you're waiting for the outcome, it's a good idea to discuss subject options with your Course Director. Contact details for your course should be available on your Learning Management System (Brightspace or Interact2) course site.

More help

If you're having trouble with the planner, check out the help guides below.