Study Access Plan

A Study Access Plan outlines the recommended support needed to help you succeed at university.

How to get a Study Access Plan

To get a Study Access Plan, you need to register with our service. You can then book an appointment with a Disability Liaison Officer to discuss the impact of your health condition or disability on your study.

You must email your Study Access Plan to your subject coordinator each session.

Register now

What a plan may include

Each Study Access Plan is based on your individual needs and your course requirements. Here are some examples of possible adjustments.

  • Assignments and course work

    Your Study Access Plan may provide assistance for study tasks such as assignments, presentations and more.
    Adjustment may include:

    • flexibility for assignment due dates
    • study material in a different format if your disability makes it difficult to access the delivered format
    • material formatted in electronic print, audio transcription or captions

    Case examples

    • Brad is vision impaired, so he was provided with lecture notes and textbooks in a text-based format, which allowed Brad to use a screen reader program.
    • John’s condition causes him fatigue and this impacts on how quickly he can complete assessments. He was provided with some additional time to complete his assessments.
  • Exams

    Types of exam provisions may include:

    • extra time
    • completing your exam in a smaller, quieter space
    • exam printed on different coloured paper
    • use of a computer rather than handwriting answers.

    Case example

    • Mary experiences anxiety and was provided with a small group exam room, extra time, and permission to move about.
    • Amy broke her wrist and was provided a scribe, extra time, and a separate room for her exams.
  • Alternative formats and transcription

    We can help provide study materials in an alternative format if your disability makes it difficult to access the delivered format.

    Reasonable adjustments may include:

    • coloured paper
    • enlarged text
    • format change such as print, electronic, audio transcription, captions.

    We can accommodate your needs in this area but need time to arrange it. Early notification is important. Please do not leave this type of request to the last minute.

    Case example

    Harry has low vision and requires his paper in electronic format so he can use ZoomText on a computer to enlarge the text.

  • Accessibility

    We look at how you can access:

    • our campuses
    • work-spaces
    • study materials
    • the most appropriate on campus accommodation.

    Case example

    Linda uses a motorised wheelchair, however, her class is in a room that has stairs. The Disability Liaison Officer liaises with timetabling to relocate the class to a wheelchair accessible room.

  • Workplace learning

    If your course has a workplace learning requirement, adjustments can be made to allow you to successfully participate. It's important to contact the Disability Service as soon as possible to discuss and implement strategies prior to placement.

    Case study

    Carla is completing work placement and is diagnosed with a mental health condition. Carla collaborates with her Disability Liaison Officer and the Workplace Learning Team from her faculty to develop a Workplace Learning Plan outlining her adjustments and supports such as restricted hours, regular rest breaks, and management of symptoms.

  • Assistive technology

    We have specialised Assistive Technology Officers who are able to get you assistive technology to use for your studies, such as equipment aids and software for free.

    You may be able to loan the following:

    • ergonomic chairs on campus
    • live scribe pens for note taking
    • slope boards
    • computer access such as keyboard, head sticks and joy sticks
    • FM systems
    • specialised course related equipment such as tactile tape measure and talking  blood pressure monitor
    • text to speech software
    • voice recognition software
    • Scanner and Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
    • literacy tools
    • speciality software or equipment aids for work placement

    We also have assistive technology rooms in the Learning Commons at Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst and Wagga Wagga campuses. These quiet study spaces are available for you to use. Speak to your Disability Liaison Officer about gaining access to this room and where it is located.

  • Intensive (residential) school

    Adjustments can be made to allow you to fully participate in Intensive (residential) School, if required by your course.


    On-campus accommodation is available at our Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst, Dubbo, Orange and Wagga Wagga campuses. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are limited, and room allocation is based on a priority of need. It’s essential that you register with the Disability Service if you need accommodation support. When completing the accommodation booking form, make sure you list these needs so that you can be supported. This may include:

      • wheelchair access
      • carer attendance
      • assistance dog
      • physical access
      • room location.

    Case studies

    • Jack would like to bring his assistance dog to intensive school. Jack registers with the Disability service to seek pre-approval for his dog to be on campus. Jack notifies Res Life on his accommodation booking form that his assistance dog will be on campus.
    • Kai’s condition impacts on her concentration and retention of information. She will have difficulty listening in lectures and taking notes at her intensive school. Kai was provided with a peer note-taker who will take notes on her behalf.

Intensive school accommodation FAQs

  • Do I need to register with the disability service to access suitable accommodation for my needs?

    Registering with the disability service is not compulsory, however, if you have any accommodation support needs related to your disability or condition, you are required to register. It may also be beneficial for you to receive supports in other areas such as exams, assessments or intensive school.

  • When can I book my accommodation?

    Accommodation bookings open six weeks before the official Intensive School period. However, we encourage you to make a booking as early as possible to ensure your needs are met as accommodation options are limited.

  • How do I notify Res Life about my accommodation needs?

    When completing the accommodation booking form, please list your accommodation support needs. Ensure that you include information such as wheelchair access, Carer attendance, assistance dog, physical access and room location, for example. There is also a tick box on this page asking if you are registered with Disability services. If you aren’t, we strongly encourage you to register so Res Life can implement your accommodation supports.

  • How do I know what room will meet my needs?

    All rooms are on campus, self-catered single rooms with access to a kitchen. However, it is essential to identify your disability needs on the booking form so Res Life can do their best to allocate a room that matches your needs.

  • Am I able to stay in the same room I had last intensive school?

    Res Life is not able to guarantee you the same room, as room allocation is based on a priority of need; they will, however, try their best to accommodate your needs.

  • Are there wheelchair accessible rooms?

    There are only a small number of rooms with wheelchair accessibility. Please include your support needs on your accommodation booking form and register with Disability Services.

  • Can my carer stay with me?

    Yes, and there will be no charge for accommodating your carer provided you register  with Disability services before your attendance at Intensive School. We also ask that you include this support need on your accommodation booking form

  • Can my assistance dog stay with me?

    Yes, however, please ensure you have prior approval for your assistance dog to be on campus. Contact Disability Services about this process. You will also be required to notify Res Life on your accommodation booking form.

  • How do I find my way around campus?

    Information sheets are emailed to you approximately one week before your arrival. This includes information on Res Life office hours, check-in, security, food outlets and other relevant information. Upon arrival, you will receive a map of the residences area and a pocket-sized campus map. You can also view campus maps before arrival.

  • Am I eligible for any financial assistance for accommodation costs?

    You may be eligible for the Intensive (Residential) School Equity Grant that provides financial assistance to help cover the cost of staying on or near the campus for compulsory Intensive Schools.

Renew your Study Access Plan

If your Study Access Plan is due to expire, book an appointment with your Disability Liaison Officer. You should always have a valid plan in place.

Email us

The workers from the Disability Service at Charles Sturt University go to the extreme to help their students achieve their goals.

- Nathaniel

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?