International academic progress notices

At the end of each session, your academic progress will be reviewed when grades are released. If you have not met the criteria for satisfactory academic progress, you will receive written notification and may be required to take further action.

At the end of each session, your progress will be reviewed when grades are released. If you have not passed at least 50% of your subjects (e.g. 2 out of 4 subjects) you will be considered to be 'at risk' for that session.

After receiving notification, contact your International Student Liaison Officer (ISLO) to make an appointment to discuss your results. Your ISLO will discuss your results with you and may assist you with putting an  academic progress plan in place for the following session.

Academic progress plans

An academic progress plan is a plan to help you to get back on track to successfully completing your studies. Depending on the circumstances and your needs, it may include:

  • learning support
  • tutorial or study groups
  • counselling services
  • mentoring
  • a modified study plan
  • disability services.

Your ISLO will discuss options of what to include in your academic progress plan with you. Once agreed, both you and your ISLO sign the plan and it is documented on your student file

Your ISLO will monitor your progress throughout the session.

All international students who are identified as being at stage two of the academic progress procedure are required to submit an academic progress plan. If you feel that you are not making good academic progress but have not been formally identified in stage two, you can talk to your ISLO about what services are available and whether an academic progress plan might help.

Next session results

Next session results

In the following session of study, your academic progress will be reviewed and if you do not meet the requirements for satisfactory academic progress again, your file and results will be reviewed and you may be considered for exclusion.

If you are considered for exclusion, you can submit a ‘show cause’ request and demonstrate why you should not be excluded. Your ‘show cause’ and your progress with your academic progress plan will be considered by your Deputy Dean.

Find out more about this process.

If the University comes to the view that you have been unable or unwilling to improve your results and will be excluded, you will be issued a notice that the University intends to report you to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Appealing a notice of intention to report

If you receive a notice of intention to report, you will receive an official University message in your Message Centre. You will be given 20 working days (from the day the notice is issued) to appeal to the University.

The notice of intention to report must be appealed in writing. Your appeal letter should address why you should not be reported and include any relevant supporting documentation you want considered to the email address contained in the notice. We strongly suggest that you contact your ISLO for assistance with your appeal.

You will not be reported to DHA while your appeal is being decided. If you are successful in your appeal, you will not be reported and will need to meet with your ISLO to organise a new intervention strategy.

If you appeal is denied, you will be given details of further appeal rights and then reported to DHA.

If you are reported to Immigration

If you have been reported to DHA, your visa will be reviewed by DHA. You may have your visa cancelled and you may be excluded from re-entering Australia for a period of time. It is important for you to discuss your immigration situation directly with DHA because at that point it is beyond the University's control.

If you wish to continue studying and you have not been excluded from your course, you may be able to study by distance from your home country. You can discuss this option with your course director.

Relevant legislation

For further information about Intervention Strategies please contact your International Student Liaison Officer.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?